1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Drift cars @ Chicago, IL

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by jmkiang, Aug 5, 2009.

1. jmkiang

jmkiang

Jul 21, 2009
    Chicago
    I attended the D1 Grand Prix Round 3 in Chicago, IL at Soldier Field this past weekend. Got a media pass so I had access to some areas most people weren't allowed in.

Here are a couple pics. I dropped down my shutter speed for these since the last time I tried taking drift pics, all the wheels were not blurred.

3789825733_a424a97500_b.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

3783179112_d292bcab78_b.jpg

3782243443_ed091351f4_b.jpg

3782243329_7dc9452cba_b.jpg

3779588591_d40bc511d7_b.jpg

3779519739_5e63a871f1_b.jpg

There was also a car show at the event. I really liked the work put into this car and thought some tone-mapping would compliment it nicely.

3781524612_51f132d1d5_b.jpg

C&C welcome for all shots.

2. Kompakt

Kompakt

Dec 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    The 1st shot is my favorite as it captures more of the scene. #6 is nice too.

3. Fantasic captures. Well panned and the last tone-mapped 'HDR' is eye-catching.

4. Jaytron

Jaytron

Mar 22, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Nice shots, they were all done with your 18-200? Monopod usage at all? How does one get a Media Pass to events like this?

5. jmkiang

jmkiang

Jul 21, 2009
    Chicago
    Thanks guys.

I try to stay away from the term 'HDR' now and just use tone-mapping since thats what it is.

Yes, all were taken using my 18-200VR and were handheld. The attempts at panning were done from the top of the 'VIP seating' bleachers and the side shots were done from inside the track.

I'm a part of a new e-magazine/forum called JDMchicago.com and the owner gets media passes for car events like this. I think most car event organizers are willing to hand these out to people like us since its essentially free advertising and we do help promote the car scene. The local scene is Chicago has died down a bit but I think JDMchicago is giving it some new life.

6. jmkiang

jmkiang

Jul 21, 2009
    Chicago
  7. Jaytron

Jaytron

Mar 22, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Ohhh damn CA doesn't need any help promoting anything with cars lol

I actually gave up on the whole JDM scene cause it blew up and got irritating

8. jmkiang

jmkiang

Jul 21, 2009
    Chicago
    We are working on showing the East and West coasts how the Midwest throws down! Been getting some record turn outs lately... ~300 cars at a local Friday night meet is unheard of here and we did it.

9. ftslogger

ftslogger

May 4, 2007
    Charlotte
    I love the Orange Subbies...I guess I am biased since I own one. :D 

10. jmkiang

jmkiang

Jul 21, 2009
    Chicago
    Team Orange was pretty sick. Had some very impressive runs.

11. Juliflex

Juliflex

Jan 27, 2008
    Puerto Rico
    nice pics! i really like the car in #7..

12. Jaytron

Jaytron

Mar 22, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    One thing.

I HATE that green/yellow fanboy triangle that everyone uses. Do you guys even know what it means? Other than it's "JDMtyteomg"? lol

13. Nice series, i like the last shot alot.

14. jmkiang

jmkiang

Jul 21, 2009
    Chicago
    Wakaba - signifies a "new driver"

15. Jaytron

Jaytron

Mar 22, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    I give you credit for at least knowing what it means.

Why do people like sporting a newbie driver brand?

16. jmkiang

jmkiang

Jul 21, 2009
    Chicago
    Haha I do understand that it is very cliche etc. I wasn't in charge of picking out our logo or did I provide any suggestions. I think its a good looking logo and I think the Wakaba "icon" goes well with our "mission". Most of our members thus far should be rocking the Kareha "icon" but oh well. We are just trying to bring the local car scene back to life and at the same time, get some nationwide exposure.

Either way, like the design or not, the logo is becoming pretty well known in the Chicagoland area -> success so far.

17. Jaytron

Jaytron

Mar 22, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Not hating on you in particular :)  I just hate that symbol and around here it screams "fanboy" haha.

It's well executed in your logo and is well designed. I was just throwing in my .02

Keep up the good work :) 

18. Good call on dropping the shutter speed for drift photos. I'm shooting Formula Drift this weekend in Seattle, should be fun. Photo pass, ftw. :)  I get one because I run a NW based website and I know people.

19. jmkiang

jmkiang

Jul 21, 2009
    Chicago
    Connections FTW! And yeah, I wanted to go lower but then the actual cars were starting to blur. Damn D40x and slow glass!

20. AtlPikMan

AtlPikMan

Sep 21, 2008
    Atlanta Ga
    Nice Shots, too bad your glass wouldnt allow slower Shutter Speeds..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.