Drill a hole in your remote shutter release

I'm a klutz, so I knew I had to have my Nikon ML-L3 remote shutter release hanging around my neck to prevent me from dropping it into a river. When I'm traveling, I also like storing it on the tripod at all times so I don't have to wonder if I remembered to bring it with me. When I'm in my makeshift studio, I like it hanging always in the same place on my tabletop photography stand so I don't have to wonder where I put it. All of that was made easy by drilling a hole in it.

I drilled a hole 6 years ago in the remote shutter release shown below and I'm still using it. Today I did the same with another one because I now have two tripods and a shutter release for use with each tripod.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Real Name
Andrew
When I had that kind of remote for me D50, I tethered it using one of those lens cap keeper things. Put the adhesive part on the back and a string on the loop end. Worked well that way for over 10 years. Wasn't sure if the adhesive would last that long, but it had.

I tethered it using one of those lens cap keeper things.
I've had those adhesives fail lots of times, so many times that I always keep extras in my camera bag.

Another method would be to use a string or something similar attached to Velcro but using a hole seems a little bit more elegant to me. I wouldn't want to have an inelegant method of retaining my remote shutter release. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Reminded me of a funny memory. Years ago I was one of the safety inspectors/test pilots for our radio control plane club. One of the weaker members showed up with a new plane, which by club rules had to be inspected before its maiden flight. Workmanship was terrible. So I turned it on, and none of the control surfaces moved- nothing. As I started to disassemble the plane to look around, he did mention it never did work????? How the heck did he expect to fly it?? Anyway, I pull the wing off. The receiver has 2 large bolts drilled directly through the center of the receiver to secure it to a bulkhead. Novel idea, the receiver was certainly never going to fall out. Circuit board was shattered beyond repair.
Deserved a Darwin award, except it did not remove his genetic material from the gene pool.
Gary

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom