Drilling for oil/gas in National Monuments

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rick_reno, May 13, 2017.

1. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    Many National Monuments are going to be reviewed for opening them to oil and gas drilling. Many of the National Monuments are photographers havens. If you have been to the National Monuments or have seen photos of them and you have an opinion about their value you can let the Department of Interior how you feel.

Here's a link to a news story about this.

https://www.usnews.com/news/politic...ign-orders-on-oil-drilling-national-monuments

here's the link on how to comment on this with lists of the monuments they are looking at.

Regulations.gov

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  2. This is ridiculous. Next thing you know they're going to be drilling in Yellowstone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Thanks - I put my comment in there! Glad to support the Antiquities Act as it ensures future generations will enjoy our beautiful country just as we are able to today.

Sean

4. Thanks for the links Rick. I've sent in my 2 cents, and forwarded these on to others.

5. william hortis

william hortis

Nov 30, 2013
    Don't bet against it!!!!!

6. This is crap
    I thought the National Parks belonged to all the people of America. Not just a few.

Cabin

7. marine 337

marine 337

Apr 29, 2017
    Melbourne Fl
    Ken
    Sacred natural land---this is crazy-----Teddy Roosevelt spinning in his grave

8. web52

web52

May 9, 2008
    houston tx
    National Monuments are not the same thing as National Parks. National Parks are voted on by Congress and have the usual checks and balances. Monuments often are established by egomaniac Presidents that grab otherwise useful land and have at times forced law-abiding ranchers or farmers out of a livelihood. Sometimes it seems like a punishment for a State that voted for "the other guy". Land that is grabbed for a Monument also can not be taxed.

If designation as Monument is all that great, why have people gotten away with such abominations as destroying rock formations just for the youtube video? BTW, nobody will ever drill around Yellowstone, not because it is a Park instead of a Monument, but because it has magma, not oil underneath. I believe it really has been seriously considered -- geothermal electrical plants just outside the Park limits.

9. It is often a fine balance. In 1895, Arizona, alarmed at the interest in the commercial potential for land then owned by the BNSF asked Congress to create the national park where Petrified National Park now stands. That initial attempt failed. In 1906, the instant the Antiquities Act was signed by Theodore Roosevelt, the Petrified Forest National Monument was created. As the ink was drying commercial interests were "harvesting" the petrified wood to use as industrial abrasives. I do not doubt that, at times, people are harmed by the sequestration of lands for public purposes. But it is also true that when big money is involved, conscience becomes expendable.

As we speak mining interests are eager for a change in the rules so they can strip mine uranium on the periphery of the Grand Canyon. Nice image, eh?

Anyway, not to get political just philosophical, as John Denver noted in his ballad So You Say That The Battle Is Over, "... and most men are ruthless but some will still weep when the gifts we were given are gone."

Peace.

• Like Like x 1
  10. web52

web52

May 9, 2008
    houston tx
    AMEN to that! My sincere apologies if I waxed too political, but I wanted to put a different swing on it. National Park and National Monument are two totally different entities and are 'born' by different paths. I prefer checks and balances!

11. marine 337

marine 337

Apr 29, 2017
    Melbourne Fl
    Ken
    Hey thx for the education----my mistake between National Parks and monuments.
    Just got a d500 after using olympus for years. What a camera!!!!!!!!! Just learning and toying----will post some pix when I get proficient.
    Thinking of John Denver---take me home country roads. take care

ken

12. I hate to break it to you but the previous three administrations have allowed FOREIGN pumping and mining on a permit by fee, limited basis. We are seeing nothing new except it looks like only American companies will be allowed to drill. Most of this activity is in Alaska and most of the locals up there approve as they get a cut, of course. Nobody is going to ruin Yosemite or Yellowstone, ect....

13. The significant difference is that Yosemite and Yellowstone are national parks - any future changes for them would be determined by Congress. This thread is about national monuments which are generally created or changed by the President via the Antiquities Act. They are closer to jeopardy with the current review than any of the national parks would be.

Sean

14. National Monuments are no less valuable in terms of culture, heritage, nature and all the other reasons we as a nation protect our environment.
    This may is probably not the right platform for a prolonged debate about the efficacy and policy of the protection, but I suspect most here at the Cafe value culture, nature, heritage and more.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. I don't usually comment, but ....
    I believe, if I am not mistaken, these are the Russians who were sold, 25% of the US uranium
    lands, by a wonderful, previous, high-ranking, couple, pocketing millions into their own
    personal banking accounts. :)

16. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Notification about this is one thing, many posts are now, however, diving to deep into politics.

Step back folks.

• Agree Agree x 1