Critique Dripping candle wax

As soon as I noticed the dripping wax, I asked my wife to snuff out the candle...not to stop it from dripping but instead to preserve the look until I could photograph it. :)

EDIT: The second photo, which is a monochrome, has been added mostly because I prefer that one to the color version.

Setup
The tabletop is white fabric and the background is white textured art paper. A small continuous-light lamp fitted with a diffusion sock was on the right and a white reflector was on the left.

Mike 2018-12-02--006A-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mike 2018-12-02--006B-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Thank you also to Rolf and Gary!

I would tone down the reflection of the white wax in the base- a little too bright and pulls my eyes away from the candle.

Completely understandable! It might interest you to learn that I chose the brightness of the bit of wax on the base of the candle holder so it would attract the eye first, as if begging the question, "Where did that come from?" The answer requires looking up to the drip on the base of the candle.

I thought you had a reason- you control the light so precisely.
I now understand your thought process, although for me the reflection pulled me away rather than towards the wax.
Lots of different thoughts- it makes the world go around
Gary

Latest threads

Top Bottom