Drive Reliability - 3.5" vs. 2.5"

Real Name
Ken
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I did not have a chance to do a write test to the drive last night, but I did get a chance to plug it in and leave it at idle while I was helping my wife on her PC last night. The drive started at 28 C when plugged in and after about an hour or two, it reached 57 C. Crystal disk Info flags anything higher than 50 C, and I know that WD says that for newer drives, 60 C is the limit. Given that the drive hit 57 C without even being put to use, I decided to return it. I just did not have the confidence in a unit that ran that hot without load.

As such, I ventured into Best Buy to see about an exchange today. Based on my understanding of the serial numbers, it looked like all of the 8TB drives were similar, so I managed to find one 10TB drive with the correct type of serial number so I returned and picked up the 10TB which was on sale as well. That drive has been plugged in for a bit less than four hours and has peaked at 48 C at idle. I am a bit more comfortable with this drive, but I am definitely going to test any future drives for potential heating issues in the future.

Thanks,

--Ken

Real Name
Ken
Ok, I'll stay out of it. :) In re-reading Kens first post, there are a lot of things I'd do differently anyway, which means I have no personal experience regarding his plan. My comment attesting to the reliability of quality NAS drives may be helpful though.
I realize that some NAS drives have great reputations, but as I am not setting up an NAS or any type of RAID, NAS drives are not necessarily ideal as stand-alone drives because many have TLR enabled, and that would not necessarily be helpful if there was an issue reading data. The drives that I ended up with are white label WD drives which are most likely binned HGST helium drives that have been slowed down to 5400 rpm. These drives have a reasonably good reputation and low failure rate and did not ending up cost an arm and a leg. And they are easy to take off site as part of a backup plan. I am still using my Samsung SSD for primary work, so I think this is a reasonable plan at this point. I know a "sneaker net" is not everybody's approach to data backup, but it has served me well enough over the past 30+ years.

--Ken

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I did not have a chance to do a write test to the drive last night, but I did get a chance to plug it in and leave it at idle while I was helping my wife on her PC last night. The drive started at 28 C when plugged in and after about an hour or two, it reached 57 C. Crystal disk Info flags anything higher than 50 C, and I know that WD says that for newer drives, 60 C is the limit. Given that the drive hit 57 C without even being put to use, I decided to return it. I just did not have the confidence in a unit that ran that hot without load.

As such, I ventured into Best Buy to see about an exchange today. Based on my understanding of the serial numbers, it looked like all of the 8TB drives were similar, so I managed to find one 10TB drive with the correct type of serial number so I returned and picked up the 10TB which was on sale as well. That drive has been plugged in for a bit less than four hours and has peaked at 48 C at idle. I am a bit more comfortable with this drive, but I am definitely going to test any future drives for potential heating issues in the future.

Thanks,

--Ken
That sounds a good move. Nothing worse than a backup you are not confident about.

Real Name
Don Roy
...And they are easy to take off site as part of a backup plan. I know a "sneaker net" is not everybody's approach to data backup, but it has served me well enough over the past 30+ years.
Sneaker net :)... I do a monthly backup of household critical data, from NAS and PC's, a few T-bytes. I put three encrypted drives in individual padded drive boxes, then those in a tupperware type box, then put that in the lawn sprinkler valve hole in the back yard. It's been a few years now and all is well, not HDD issues.

Real Name
Ken
Sneaker net :)... I do a monthly backup of household critical data, from NAS and PC's, a few T-bytes. I put three encrypted drives in individual padded drive boxes, then those in a tupperware type box, then put that in the lawn sprinkler valve hole in the back yard. It's been a few years now and all is well, not HDD issues.
That is quite the setup! It sounds like your only worry may be the dog digging up your yard looking for that bone. :rolleyes:

In our yard, it would likely be a squirrel as they have managed to dig up almost all of the bulbs my wife plants each year. It seems they have different designs for the back yard.🐿

In all seriousness, it does sound like you have a great backup plan. Let's hope we don't need to implement them.

--Ken

Real Name
Ken
That sounds a good move. Nothing worse than a backup you are not confident about.
Yes. I normally don't get quite that picky about things, but as I have always understood heat to be the enemy of hard drives, that particular drive just seemed like a problem waiting to happen.

Now, if only WD could standardize on their wall warts. I installed a new Tripp-Lite power strip and went to plug in all of the drives. Half of my drives have prongs facing one way (which allows them to sit in the strip next to each other), and the other half have prongs turned 90 degrees and the warts have to take up two spaces. Quite annoying to say the least. But, all drives are now on the desk and I just need to finish transferring files later this week if my schedule permits.

Thanks again for all of the help. This arrangement did require a power strip and a bit more desk space than what I originally envisioned, but I now have a nice set of drives with lots of space.

--Ken

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom