1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Drive the D700 today

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by the_traveler, Jul 17, 2008.

1. the_traveler

the_traveler

Mar 22, 2007
    Manhattan, NY
    Lewis Lorton
    I walked into the Penn Camera store in Laurel MD at 5 PM, the announced time of the D700 Demo. As I had hoped, most people were still at work and I was only the 3d person there for the demo. The counter was covered with a cloth throw and there were 4 D700 bodies with various lenses attached; the triumphal trio (14-24, 24-70,70-28), plus a 24-120 (?) and one of the swing tilt lenses.

I picked up the body with the 24-70 lens and took a quick look. It felt terrific, very solid, marginally heavier than my D200 (it seemed) but all the buttons seemed similar. Really pro feeling to it. As soon as I picked it up, I grew taller and younger and beautiful women in skimpy clothing ran up to press their bubblies against me.

The three differences I noted immediately were the small button in the center of the multiway selector, the marginal improved focus-mode selector (at least once a shoot I move it from C to S inadvertently) and a new + button to magnify the image on the Monitor.

Speaking of the monitor - large, gloriously sharp and bright, like looking at a hi-res tv. I tried the 24-70 and the 70-200 and focus was incredibly fast even in the marginal light in the store.

Once the actual demo started, the representative of NPS starting taking portraits with available light (mix of fluorescent and natural) using both Auto WB and Custom WB and ExpoDisc using ISO 4000. The results were amazing, sharp, clean, damn near perfect. Auto WB was marginally different than the custom WB.

The fine jpgs were sent wirelessly to a PC and were printed at 8x10 without further editing. Each fine jpg took about 3 or 4 seconds. The prints were very, very impressive; sharp detail, no color noise obvious at 8 x 10. I got a chance to snap a couple at ISO 6000 and, at magnification, some color noice was starting to show.

All in all, the D700 is seemingly as much a leap in quality and build over my D200 as the D200 was over the D70. The rep got sidetracked into a demo of Nikon Capture 2, which seems like nice product, and after ten minutes of that I left to go have supper.

2. Thanks for the report Lew, Im Looking forward to getting mine :smile:

3. pointa-b-c

pointa-b-c

Mar 21, 2007
    Los Angeles
    :505: LOL.

Thanks for your brief report, this is what I need to know, how much it is better than the D200. :smile:

4. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Jun 15, 2008
    England
    Variable aperture I assume? They really need a constant aperture 24-120.

I can see how build quality is important for Pros, but I'm so gentle with my gear, I just don't need it. My D70 is as good as new. The D300 would be a nice step up in builld quality, but I doubt I'll ever make use of Pro build quality.

This D700 is annoying me. For 90% of the photos I take (pics of kids, particularly indoors, some landscapes) it will do a better job than the D300. But the D300 will be good enough (what a horrible phrase) for me and there will be times when I want the extra reach.

I really want to hear about its focusing abilities, maybe with a collection of TCs I can stop worrying about reach problems.

5. The 24-120 is variable aperture. What is interesting about this kit is that sells for more than the body and lens separately...

6. Did they say what day they will go on sale?

7. Brodman

Brodman

Aug 26, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
    This is exactly my feelings about the D700. I want it for low light, but I really don't need it. The other problem is that if I pick up a D700 will I always wish that I had gone to the D3? But, having a smaller body to carry at night with better high iso's? Then, will I forsake my D300 for everything but sports? Lenses are then the issue as I will have to pick up the 24-70 and my 17-55 will start gathering dust.

So for me it becomes a very expensive purchase: D700, 24-70, low light FF glass, and how could I live without the 14-24?

For once, I think I may just see what the verdict is compared to the D3. My bank account would be happy with that decision. I've never waited before. But the expense, and the selling off of lenses, is a bit overwhelming.

I guess that I will wait to see those "pictures of black cats, in the basement, at midnight" pics. As one member here stated.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.