Driveway moments

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I got home from another just wonderful day at work (yeah, right :rolleyes:), and had absolutely no thought of taking pictures. However, we have a cute little Robin that has built a nest on the flat area at the top of our gutter downspout right next to the bottom of our driveway. I have been feeding her (and several other Robins) meal worms that I got a couple of weeks ago, so she hasn't been too spooked by our presence.

Anyway, I got home and sprinkled a few dozen meal worms around beneath her nest, and she rewarded me by flying up to a tree close to her nest. I didn't figure that she would hang around there very long, but I ran upstairs and got the cam and tripod anyway. When I got back down, she was still there. Here is a representative shot. The light was getting late (you can see the sun right on the horizon in her eye), and it was a tad overcast, but I was glad to get a few shots in.

Taken with the D2Hs / 400 2.8 + 1.7 TC. 1/200, f5, ISO500.

Momma Robin:
    [​IMG]

In her nest (just added). This kind of shows why this won't be an ideal location for watching the babies develop:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking. :smile:

2. Very Nice Frank Great detail in the shot

3. DoorMan

DoorMan Guest

Beautiful shot Frank! The feather detail is very good.

4. Timeout

Timeout

May 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Looks like you did the right thing, running up to get your gear - guess those mealworm handouts begets its rewards!

I agree with the others, very good feather detail and I love seeing the horizon in the birdie's eye. Frank, I recall you doing ISO tests, did you conclude a general number that you feel comfortable shooting up to with your D200? ISO is not an area I've explored yet; with the D70, it's the last thing I'm usually willing to touch, not that I've tested, though.

5. BirdLady

BirdLady

Jan 8, 2006
    Alabama
    Beautiful picture of a beautiful A. Robin, Frank. Now that she is eating the meal worms, she will allow you to get close to her and her babies when the time is right. To be on the safe side, I would suggest not feeding her to close to her nest, especially if other A. Robins are around. A. Robins don't tolerate other A. Robins or Thrushes near them especially during the breeding and nesting time. They compete to much for the same type of food. I should know because I have had 4 pairs to nest in my yard for a couple of years now. This year I have 6 pairs and they are fighting all the time. The Robins are fighting each other and the E. Bluebirds, Brown Thrashers and the N. Mockingbirds. Everyone fighting so much it a wonder that they actually stop long enough to eat. My regular B. Thrasher will fight off the Robins and he or she always win. I have my regular E. Bluebird nesting in my yard but one of their last baby from last year keeps coming around with her (Baby Blue) mate (Dark Blue). It is so sad to see the regular female E. Bluebird chasing her daughter out of my yard. The regular male E. Bluebird is chasing his daughter mate out of the yard too. I know it is part of life but that doesn't make it easy to watch.

PS: I have a male Ruby-throated Hummingbird. I have
    seen him 6 times today.

6. Looks pretty d-g good to me Frank! You nailed the exposure. How much crop?

7. Sometimes it's the unexpected shots that are so rewarding... Nice shot Frank!

8. nice shot Frank.. I was firing away at a robin 2 nights ago.. and they are a great looking bird... do you have a good angle at the nest?

9. Detail does not get any better than this! Very nice Frank.

10. Stellar image Frank, WOW!

11. Bubba

Bubba

Apr 12, 2005
    Alabama
    Great shot, Frank. My mother-in-law's house (well, for another 2 hours anyway) has a robin nest in the flat of the downspout too. The kids love getting to watch, especially once the babies hatch

12. Great shot, Frank... my favourite bird (well, OK.. next to cygnets! :smile:) So nice you'll have these opportunities to shoot mom and babies.

13. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks for the kind words everyone. :smile:

Miko, you might recall that my D200 was mashed at MI4. WRT noise performance, I found the D200 to be better than my D2H's, and about the same as the D2X that I borrowed from Andreas for MI4. I am now shooting with a D2Hs, and I am very, very pleased with its noise performance. This shot was at ISO500 and I did no noise reduction at all.

Debbie, thanks so much for you help on the feeder set-up and the link to the meal worms. I went out and got some of the seed blocks that you recommended and it made a huge increase in the traffic around my feeders. I appreciate the help.

Almost none Andreas. Just a bit to position the bird and avoid a couple of ugly branches. Thanks.

Ray, unfortunately not. It is up under the eaves of the house, on top of the gutter downspout. Baby shots are probably not going to be possible. :frown:

Thanks again everyone.

14. Toklat

Toklat

Aug 31, 2006
    Alaska
    It's a PERFECT shot Frank!

15. Timeout

Timeout

May 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Frank, my apologies, it was late - I had been reading about the testing of your newly aquired D2Hs several weeks ago, but my typing didn't register my thoughts. :redface: The higher ISO flexibility and performance you're getting is excellent and it very well should make you happy. :smile:

16. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    Cracking shot!

17. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    There are several things about this image that I like: A robin somewhere other than the ground is always a plus and the colors and sharpness are both as good as it gets. This is waaaaaay better than anything I have of this bird. Really nice work!

18. Wow, that is sharp. Thanks for the shooting details.

19. Marcos

Marcos

Nov 20, 2005
    FL, USA.
    Robin

Very Nice shot Frank, Crisp & Colourful :eek:

20. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Driveway moments (Updated a bit)

Thanks John, Stuart, Andy, and Marcos. As someone else that replied said, sometimes it is the unplanned images that turn out the best. :smile:

BTW, I added a shot of her in her nest that I got tonight. It shows that the nest at least, won't be a good shooting target. :rolleyes: