Driving I-5 Seattle to LA

I've done this drive MANY times and am looking to spice it up with a detour or two to do some landscape work. Suggestions?

TIA!

Real Name
Alvin
I don't know much about WA and OR along I-5, but in CA, I was thinking that
Mt. Shasta area is pretty scenic.

I take it you don't want to stray too far from I-5?

One interesting place is Dunsmuir Falls. You have to hike a little bit along
some railroad tracks, but it's a neat waterfall. The water seeps through the
porous volcanic rocks to form a dripping wall of water.

You have to use care walking along the tracks. It's an active line and there's a
good chance a train will go by.

Have a safe drive and some fun along the way.

Alvin

I wouldn't come down the 5 if you have time. Cut over the coast a Olympia and drive down 101 and 1 in sections to SF. That is my favorite section. Then over to the 5 to make up time. Lots to see and very scenic for landscape. What part of LA are you coming to?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bob, agreed: 101, 1 is the best! I did it just a couple years ago - the whole way..mmm...maybe I will. I'm heading to San Pedro (hometown 35 years ago), Torrance, etc. my sis lives in Norco, so ill be there a bit also. That's not far from you!

Real Name
Alvin
Bob, agreed: 101, 1 is the best! I did it just a couple years ago - the whole way..mmm...maybe I will. I'm heading to San Pedro (hometown 35 years ago), Torrance, etc. my sis lives in Norco, so ill be there a bit also. That's not far from you!
I grew up in Torrance and my family still lives there.

I hope you have a great trip.

Alvin

Columbia River Gorge. The waterfalls and scenic are spectacular.
+1

And if you haven't done it already, Mt. St. Helens is not to be missed, although it does get crowded during the summer. I'm planning on going down that way in the fall. There are also a number of national parks where I am sure you will find some great landscapes. One of the places I want to get to is Crater Lake as from the photos I've seen, it's gorgeous.

I also love photographing the ocean, so you might want to take the Ocean Parkway part of the way :)

Carole

Well, at the end of the drive down, Joshua Tree and the Salton Sea come to mind. Too late for the Cacti blooming, but the sunsets should be spectacular and the rock climbers in Joshua Tree can be quite interesting as well. And you also have the Wind Farms out that way.

Funny, my wife was born in San Pedro. My family move to the area in 1965, just after the riots, into what is now the city of Carson, not far from Cal State Dominguez Hills. Our 2 kids were both born down there. We moved up here the end of 1991, but occasionaly get back down to the area.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom