Driving to Alaska-Anyone done this?

We (my wife and I) just returned from a week in Seward/Homer, photographing wildlife, it was amazing. So we are seriously thinking of towing our Travel trailer from WA state, in 2020 and spend a month, traveling and enjoying.

While up in Homer, we spoke to a few folks, coaches as well as trailers, and most said it was a decent drive, some areas of bouncy roads and they averaged around 50 mph in general. But no issues with fuel availability and camp grounds had a lot of space. A few said, done that once, no need to do it again, yet another retired couple, this was their 3rd trip up, probably their last towing due to their age, but would return and rent an RV in ANC in 3 years. That couple was from Nebraska.

But was wondering if anyone has done that drive, how was it and any suggested points to stop or MUST SEE's.

Real Name
Ken St John
We have not made that trip ... but we have talked about it several times, so I'll also be interested in what folks say here!

One time, I did look at maybe driving north and then taking a ferry south from Anchorage to the Seattle area. The only one I found was around $5k for our truck and us - one way!:eek: Yikes!! No thank you!

Ken

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
In 2010, hubby and I drove our new truck and 5th wheel from Tn to Alaska and back! AWESOME trip! 3 months. Get the latest copy of the Milestone book...and start planning. We made reservations with Derek Stonorov for a day trip to see grizzlies. Fabulous! We also took the ferry to Cordova. And another ferry from Haines to Skagway! Not to miss.

And Steve K was a lot of help and offered us great hospitality!

We took 3 months......I'm traveling now in Eastern Canada but can provide much more info once we get home in August. Don't worry about the roads. Even in 2010 they were fine.

Here are some images:

Alaska

Canada.....see Alberta, British Columbia, Yukon.....

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
BTW - we drove about every road south of Fairbanks......I created an Excel spreadsheet of our itinerary. I can send it to you once I get home.

Latest threads

Top Bottom