Drop art kit won't release the camera's shutter --SOLVED

Suddenly my drop art kit's controller won't release my Nikon Z6's shutter despite that I used the dropping setup four days ago and had left it in place the entire time.

The kit's controller turns on and talks to the Yongnuo trigger and the kit's valves just fine. Using a manual, wired shutter release that is connected to the same port in the camera used by the cable connected to the kit's controller works fine, so the camera's port isn't the problem. I've disconnected and reconnected the cable at the kit's controller, at the camera, and where the two cables connect to each other three times, and all three times every connection had been firmly in place.

That seems to leave only the two cables that connect the kit's controller and the camera as the culprit, but I've got a difficult time believing that considering the setup has always worked fine including the last time I used it four days ago.

Any ideas about something else to try would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Suddenly my drop art kit's controller won't release my Nikon Z6's shutter despite that I used the dropping setup four days ago and had left it in place the entire time.

The kit's controller turns on and talks to the Yongnuo trigger and the kit's valves just fine. Using a manual, wired shutter release that is connected to the same port in the camera used by the cable connected to the kit's controller works fine, so the camera's port isn't the problem. I've disconnected and reconnected the cable at the kit's controller, at the camera, and where the two cables connect to each other three times, and all three times every connection had been firmly in place.

That seems to leave only the two cables that connect the kit's controller and the camera as the culprit, but I've got a difficult time believing that considering the setup has always worked fine including the last time I used it four days ago.

Any ideas about something else to try would be greatly appreciated.
Did you ask your wife? :p

Don't you love technology.
Maybe a butterfly in Zimbabwe flapped its wings at the wrong time.
With communication issues I have had to unplug and power down everything, let is sit for a minute, then reconnect and power everything up. Worth a try if you haven't already.
Otherwise, ask your wife.
When I get in a deep technology problem, I aske one of my grandkids. Oldest is 4. They are smarter with this stuff than I am.
gary

Did you ask your wife? :p
ask your wife.

My wife and I were talking about the situation again over supper and she suggested that I try it using my Nikon D7000. I did and the shutter released as expected. That information tells me that somewhere, somehow I have changed a setting on the Nikon Z6 that prevents the shutter from releasing.

Did you verify that you are using the mechanical shutter (not silent)?

I checked that but only because you suggested it. I would never want to use silent photography when doing the drop art stuff because of fear that silent photography might cause a problem when capturing the speed of the moving liquid. Even so, there is no reason the shutter shouldn't release when using silent photography.

My wife...suggested that I try it using my Nikon D7000. I did and the shutter released as expected. That information tells me that somewhere, somehow I have changed a setting on the Nikon Z6 that prevents the shutter from releasing.

While lying in bed last night I realized that I had come to a very wrong conclusion. Consider that the camera's shutter always tripped when manually using a wired, remote shutter release using the exact same port that the drop art kit's wired remote uses. Also consider that the shutter on the Nikon D7000 always released when using the kit's wired remote shutter. Taking all of that into consideration should have proved to me that there is an intermittent problem with the cable, especially knowing that when cables have problems, they are often only intermittent.

Sure enough, I just now plugged the drop art kit's cable into the Nikon Z6, turned the camera on and made no changes. Three times in a row the shutter tripped as should happen.

I'll buy a new cable.

Last edited:
Some folks at the Facebook group that specializes in drop art photography have explained that the camera's shutter might be malfunctioning. Considering that I've never had any issues with the shutter and that the camera's shutter count is less than 65,000, I believe it's unlikely that the shutter is causing the problem. Even so, it's good to be aware that a malfunctioning shutter would cause this problem and that I should keep an eye on it in the future.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom