Drop Art Photos: Interesting Arrangements of Crowns

My goal was to produce crowns that are purple and green. I learned that dropping this water-based green liquid into the water-based purple liquid didn't make that happen; doing so produced only a green crown. So, the solution was to put green liquid in one bottle and purple liquid in another bottle and to drop both colors.

Notice that the first photo is a double crown (one crown inside another crown). That happens only when two drops fall onto about the same spot at about the same time.

There are also photos of two, three and even four crowns that are side-by-side, which I don't remember ever seeing. One way to produce them would be to situate the nozzles on the bottles so the drops land beside each other. The way it happened in this session was that falling drops would break up in mid-air into smaller droplets and one or more of the droplets would land alongside other drops. Fortunately, some landed that way at about the same time and when the flash head emitted light. To appreciate the luck about that, the three flash heads were firing at the same time and were emitting a burst of light that lasted about 1/20,000 of a second. Out of more than 350 photos, only one image with three crowns and one image with four crowns were produced.

The colors in the tabletop are a reflection of the background not included in the scene. That background is a gradient printed on clear acetate attached to a sheet of translucent vellum that nicely diffuses the light. That setup was lit from behind by three flash heads. Notice that the colors in the tabletop are mottled. That mottled look was created by drops of liquid that were out of focus that had splashed up from the tabletop and landed on the background sheet of translucent vellum. I decided not to clean the splashed drops off the background sheet with the hope that I would like their out-of-focus reflection, and I do!

Photo #1 -- Double Crown
Mike 2021-02-23--0010-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Photo #2: Two Side-by-Side Crowns
Mike 2021-02-23--0033-S.jpg

Photo #3: Two Side-by-Side Crowns
Mike 2021-02-23--0032-S.jpg

Photo #4: Three Side-by-Side Crowns

Mike 2021-02-23--0016-S.jpg

Photo #5: Four Side-by-Side Crowns
Mike 2021-02-23--0035-S.jpg

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Interesting! #1 is a big winner for me....and #4. But #2 and 5 are pleasing. Why does #3 remind me of a venus fly trap? Excellent work, Mike! Quite creative! Also, the colors choices are very well done!

Real Name
Andy
Nice work, Mike. The change in color and translucence between the thin film of the crowns and the edges, where the water beads fringes is mesmerizing and beautiful.

Thank you to Gary, Terri, Karen, Dan, Nick and Andy!

The change in color and translucence between the thin film of the crowns and the edges, where the water beads fringes is mesmerizing and beautiful.

All of that is totally beyond my control. There is so much stuff about drop art photography that is nothing more than pure luck, and I'm very happy to take every bit of it that comes my way.

Real Name
Bill Walderman
Why don't you try B&W conversion on one or more of these? I'm not sure it would work but it might be interesting. You could play around with the B&W color mixer and other sliders and perhaps add some toning (maybe bluish cool toning).

Wow, wow !! Great images Mike. My fav is #1. I think , because, it is the single one. 2 side by side images are nice too, but when the crowns are side by side , I think they are becoming distracting for each other. I also like the last image as an abstract.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom