Drop art photos: two double crowns and a crown

I hadn't photographed any crowns since July, which is the only time I had photographed them. Unlike in July, I used transparent liquid this time.

The narrative at each photo explains that I had hoped for a sophisticated, elegant look but didn't achieve it until the third photo. That one wasn't captured until I had taken nearly 100 photos among two sessions.

Photo #1: A little messy, but it's my first time that using just one drop produced a double crown. So, I'll take it! Post-processing complements the look of the formation.
Mike 2021-02-21--0001-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Photo #2: A bit more refined but not yet what I wanted. Again, I'll take it because of the double crown produced using just one drop. Post-processing is different to accommodate the improved look of the formation.
Mike 2021-02-22--0003-S.jpg

Photo #3: Finally! The look I was hoping to achieve from the outset. The improved results from the first photo to the second photo and then the third photo were achieved by using a highly scientific, tried and true method: make no changes and hope for the best!
Mike 2021-02-22--0009-S.jpg

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
What a wonderful set! #3 is certainly the winner! So very special!

I really like #1 as well. I tried tweaking #1 on a PS layer using ACR....+.4 exposure, +20 blacks and +15 vibrance. Then I masked the faint colored areas so only the darkest areas were affected. You might as well clean up the spots in #1 and 2.....

Thank you to Karen, Terri, Mitch, Dan, Nick and West!

Crowns is a perfect description.
I believe the scientific term is coronet. That's because everything I read about Harold "Doc" Edgerton's famous photo of the first one made of milk always calls it a coronet. Coronet in Spanish translates as crown in English, so there may be no difference. Indeed, coronet has the same meaning in both Spanish and English.

I really like the texture in the wall of the inner crown in photo No. 1. It looks like glass to me.
One of the appealing characteristics of doing drop art photography with transparent and translucent liquids is that they have the same photographic properties as glass, which I've specialized in photographing.

the surrounding water in #1.
I can think of three ways you might have known the surrounding surface was water and two of them don't have anything to do with viewing the image. Just out of curiosity, how did you know?

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom