Drop Box Issue

I seem to have everything set up correctly between 2 apple computers. But when I attempt to move a file from one to the drop box for the other I get the slashed circle.

I believe I have all the permissions set properly.

Ideas?

Are you running default folder or selective sync? Check to see if the folder is actively syncing: Preferences->advanced->Selective Sync (Change settings)

Hey Stephen,

Just to clarify, are you talking about Dropbox, the third party application, or the Drop Box which is located in the Public folder in your user Home folder?

With Dropbox the application, you just put the file(s) in the Dropbox on one computer, and it is synced through the Internet to any other Dropboxes which are linked to the same account, usually set up with your email address. You have to have the Dropbox application running on each computer. (Of course, if this is the Dropbox you're talking about, you already know that.)

Now the Drop Box in your Public folder came from Apple and is write-only. Other users can drop files in there to give to you, but no one other than you can open it and see what's inside.

I'm using Dropbox the application with three different machines, and it works really well for me. I never use the Drop Box, and honestly, I don't really use the Public folder for that matter.

Now I hope that didn't confuse you any further.

Andy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
just back in town. thanks to both of you.... using DB in Public folder

i can see what's inside the folder, but can't drag it to my desktop or LR 5

I'll futz around with it when I've more time.

Hey Stephen,

I just checked my Drop Box in my Public folder. I can move stuff in and out of it.

Click once on the Drop Box and go to the File menu and select Get Info to see the permissions set for that folder. Make sure the top one (should say your user name) is set to read and write. The other two will probably say no access.

Something to try is to hold down the option key as you try to drag something out of the folder. It will make a copy, but maybe it will work for you.

I think the Drop Box was intended as a way to let other users transfer files to you without being able to see what is in your Public folder. I never use mine, but I'm the only user of my machine.

Hope this helps.

Andy

I think the Drop Box was intended as a way to let other users transfer files to you without being able to see what is in your Public folder.
This is exactly what it was designed to do. A guest on the network can only see that this folder exists and can drop files on it but can't see the contents of the folder unless they log in as an authorized user. My wife and I transfer files this way when we don't want to log into the other's machine.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom