Drop Cable TV for Verizon Service?

It used to be that my Cable TV company raised their rates every January. Now, I see that they raised my monthly bill in July too. (They raised the monthly cost of their DVR.) I'm sick and tired of them nickel and diming me to death, so I'm considering a change to Verizon.

Unfortunately, Verizon doesn't offer FIOS in my area yet. Instead, they offer these packages. (I'm currently paying $185/month for unlimited phone, internet, and HDTV with DVR and HBO.) EDIT: A closer look thru "Build Your Package" indicates that for $90/mo, I could get unlimited phone calling (ie - included long distance), HDTV (without HBO), and internet (with speeds at 3.1 to 7Mbps)

My questions are:

1. How is the internet speed with these packages? Remember - This is NOT FIOS. (I have no idea what the upload/downlaod speed is with my cable company.) Is it DSL or is it over-the-air via DirecTV?

2. What is "Regional Calling" vs "Unlimited Calling"? (I can't find any specifics on that.)

3. I don't see any mention of a DVR, but I know that DirecTV offers them (from TV commercials I've seen.) Where could I find details on this?

4. What else do I specifically need to watch for or ask about if/when I contact Verizon?

Any glowing endorsements, or cautionary tales with regard to signing up for one of these packages would be appreciated!

Thanks.

When I click on the link it only shows Fios plans. What are they offering you? Voice Link for your phone?

Trust me, it is a no win situation no matter what company you go with. I've been a FiOS user for years and love them, but it is expensive. I have a choice of two other cable companies on my pole, Comcast an Broad Stripe, both of which suck. So cable is not an option for me.

From what I understand, which I might be incorrect, the areas where Verizon doesn't offer FiOS they sub out with a local cable provider. So, you might or might not get lucky on the TV service. If it were me I wouldn't change until you can go with FiOS. There really is no major price difference worth the aggravation.

Here's how I manage what I see coming out of my entertainment center in my home ... use my:

cable company for Internet only (second to the highest speed), from that I get Netflix, Amazon video, hookup for my Apple TV, online gaming, home security, etc... - $68.

DirecTV - second up from the most basic package - $54, Showtime - $11. Total - $65.

Thats it. :)

My questions are:

1. How is the internet speed with these packages? Remember - This is NOT FIOS. (I have no idea what the upload/downlaod speed is with my cable company.) Is it DSL or is it over-the-air via DirecTV?

Verizon non-FiOS internet is called High Speed Internet, and is conventional telephone company DSL. They have a few speeds, with different pricing. Like any DSL, maximum speed of highest speed tiers will depend on your distance from the central office. They can test your line and tell you.

I used Verizon DSL a long time before FiOS was available, and it was as good as any, better than some.

Here is a very comprehensive report of various internet providers services (testing paid for by FCC):

http://www.fcc.gov/measuring-broadband-america/2012/july

2. What is "Regional Calling" vs "Unlimited Calling"? (I can't find any specifics on that.)
Regional is local calls that are free, to your own areas area codes.
Unlimited (Freedom Essentials) is free LD calls anywhere in US and Canada.

3. I don't see any mention of a DVR, but I know that DirecTV offers them (from TV commercials I've seen.) Where could I find details on this?
For DirectTV, try www.directtv.com

I am unaware that Verizon has any TV service other than FiOS? I think they do bundle DirectTV in some DSL plans.
FiOS is mighty great, better (features and quality) and less expensive than competition, but of course, it has to be available.

Maybe start here: http://www.verizon.com/home/highspeedinternet/ (High Speed Internet, near page bottom)

4. What else do I specifically need to watch for or ask about if/when I contact Verizon?
If your internet provides a free router. Is it also a wireless router? Is it G or N?

Last edited by a moderator:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
We have Charter FIOS and loved it. We have TV, internet and phone all with Charter. But our 2 year "deal" expired recently. The price was going to go up a lot. Hubby called the sales department and they happily worked with him to not only increase our speed to 30 mbs but they also reduced the proposed price increase. They don't offer 2 year contracts anymore, but the deal we got is guaranteed for a year.

For us, it is by far the best deal.

Trust me, it is a no win situation no matter what company you go with. I've been a FiOS user for years and love them, but it is expensive. I have a choice of two other cable companies on my pole, Comcast an Broad Stripe, both of which suck. So cable is not an option for me.

From what I understand, which I might be incorrect, the areas where Verizon doesn't offer FiOS they sub out with a local cable provider. So, you might or might not get lucky on the TV service. If it were me I wouldn't change until you can go with FiOS. There really is no major price difference worth the aggravation.

The problem is that I have my doubts that FIOS will ever be offered in my smallish town. :frown: And I'd like to drop the cable company now.

Verizon non-FiOS internet is called High Speed Internet, and is conventional telephone company DSL. They have a few speeds, with different pricing. Like any DSL, maximum speed of highest speed tiers will depend on your distance from the central office. They can test your line and tell you.

I used Verizon DSL a long time before FiOS was available, and it was as good as any, better than some.

Here is a very comprehensive report of various internet providers services (testing paid for by FCC):

http://www.fcc.gov/measuring-broadband-america/2012/july

Regional is local calls that are free, to your own areas area codes.
Unlimited (Freedom Essentials) is free LD calls anywhere in US and Canada.

For DirectTV, try www.directtv.com

I am unaware that Verizon has any TV service other than FiOS? I think they do bundle DirectTV in some DSL plans.
FiOS is mighty great, better (features and quality) and less expensive than competition, but of course, it has to be available.

Maybe start here: http://www.verizon.com/home/highspeedinternet/ (High Speed Internet, near page bottom)

If your internet provides a free router. Is it also a wireless router? Is it G or N?

Thanks for all the links, Wayne!

Here's how I manage what I see coming out of my entertainment center in my home ... use my:

cable company for Internet only (second to the highest speed), from that I get Netflix, Amazon video, hookup for my Apple TV, online gaming, home security, etc... - $68.

DirecTV - second up from the most basic package - $54, Showtime - $11. Total - $65.

Thats it. :)

$65 + $68 = $133 ...Add in phone service and you may not be paying much less than I am. <shrug>

Verizon guarantees DSL service no more than 15,000 feet from the central office. So if you're further away than that, Verizon doesn't offer the DSL service, although other companies do.

We have Charter FIOS and loved it. We have TV, internet and phone all with Charter. But our 2 year "deal" expired recently. The price was going to go up a lot. Hubby called the sales department and they happily worked with him to not only increase our speed to 30 mbs but they also reduced the proposed price increase. They don't offer 2 year contracts anymore, but the deal we got is guaranteed for a year.

For us, it is by far the best deal.

You will being this every year. Every 12 months I call Dish network and play "Lets make a deal", and they do.

Verizon guarantees DSL service no more than 15,000 feet from the central office. So if you're further away than that, Verizon doesn't offer the DSL service, although other companies do.

Exactly why I can't use DSL ... cable has always been faster for me for Internet access.

First Experience Contacting Verizon - Not Good

I decided to try to gather information/get some questions answered from Verizon's website that I referenced in the opening post. After selecting my options for Internet, Phone and TV, I wanted to further customize what I wanted. No matter what I did, clicking on "Build Bundle" didn't do anything (ie - the link was non-functional). So, I decided to try "Customer Chat".

Although I asked a number of specific questions (such as what's the monthly charge after the 1st month tease rate; Can I keep my existing phone number etc), the only information I got was to "disable your cookies" in order for "Build Bundle" to work. :rolleyes:

Pretty poor service, if you ask me. I have no problem navigating around every other website I visit. But the website of the vendor who I'm considering ordering internet service from requires that I change my security settings in order to proceed? - I don't think so.

...And why can't they be upfront on the main page about what the actual monthly charges will be (before taxes and fees), instead of listing only the first month "teaser rate"? Why should I have to go thru the entire procedure of preparing an order (which I assume requires a contact phone number and credit card number, after disabling the cookies) in order to finally see the actual monthly rate at the "Review Order" stage? Sleazy.

From what I've seen so far, Verizon is no better than Time Warner Cable (and maybe worse). :mad: Pathetic!

Sorry you're having trouble. That doesn't make any sense to me either. Seems like cookies would be essential. Esp that part about "remember my location". FWIW, their site does seem to work OK for me, with normal cookies, but maybe I'm not where you are. Maybe Sunday is different?

Both the Verizon and AT&T web sites are the pits. They have to know who you are, where you are, and what current service you have, before you get anything. My notion is that probably means cookies. Even then, the details are pretty deep.

Latest threads

Top Bottom