Dropbox alternatives

Hello all,

Dropbox is ending support for some older operating systems in January, including OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard).

I still have a working Snow Leopard system to use with older Power PC applications, and I'd like to be able to keep that system in sync, so I'm looking for some alternatives.

So far, I've found two: Sync.com and TeamDrive.

While both appear to do what I want, Sync.com seems the more appealing option. It supports OSX 10.5 and up. There are two versions of TeamDrive, version 3 for OSX 10.5 and up and version 4 for OSX 10.10 and up.

So the question is this. Do any of you use Sync.com? And do you like it?

And just in case, has anyone used TeamDrive? And what do you think of it?

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,

Andy

Try this pCloud - File Security Made Simple | pCloud
Preview
Access on all devices
Save your files in pCloud and have them on your laptop, phone or the web

Unbreakable security
Keep your private files confidential with the highest level of encryption

Share and collaborate
Send, receive and work together with your friends on every file

• Develop your ideas on your PC without taking actual HDD space with pCloud Drive
  • Encrypt your private files without giving access to anyone else with pCloud Crypto
  • Use Automatic Upload to save photos and videos from your smartphone instantly
© 2017 pCloud AG

JohnFastman: pCloud is a good alternative to Dropbox because it offers the same functionality with the following benefits:
1. It offers the option of an encrypted folder, so even pCloud employees can't see or steal your data;
2. pCloud is based in Switzerland where privacy rules are far stronger than in the US.
3. pCloud offers a larger amount of free space (5GB vs 2GB from Dropbox.)

I would be interested in something like drop box to use occasionally to transfer images to people. However I do it so infrequently that the service would need to be free. Otherwise it's not worth it for me. Also if it requires that all parties need to join and belong to before hand it's a hassle as well.

I'd be interested in something you can use to send files for free to anyone without have to join and subscribe to, and worse yet have to memorize yet another user name and password. For something I'll never use enough to actually remember those.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I would be interested in something like drop box to use occasionally to transfer images to people. However I do it so infrequently that the service would need to be free. Otherwise it's not worth it for me. Also if it requires that all parties need to join and belong to before hand it's a hassle as well.

I'd be interested in something you can use to send files for free to anyone without have to join and subscribe to, and worse yet have to memorize yet another user name and password. For something I'll never use enough to actually remember those.
The answer for that is www.wetransfer.com
Be sure to read carefully and choose the free option. Each transfer can be up to 2GB.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Oh wow, I'll take a look at that. Thank you Richard!
After you give them the email address and do the upload, they send an email to the recipient giving the message and the download link.
What I really like is that after the recipient has downloaded, they send you a message telling you. So you know that the recipient has it OK.

In case anyone is wondering, I created a free account at Sync.com and installed the software on my Snow Leopard machines.

The functionality is very similar to Dropbox, and you get 5 GB with a free account.

Sync's calling card is data privacy. Supposedly they don't have any access to your data.

I still prefer Dropbox, and I can still use it on my El Capitan installations. But I think between Dropbox and Sync I'll figure out how to keep doing everything I can do now when Dropbox drops Snow Leopard support (which I still wish they wouldn't if anyone from Dropbox happens to read this :)).

So if anyone needs a Dropbox alternative, Sync might be worth looking into.

Top Bottom