Dropped camera...screen is cracked

So, my wife was using our D90 at a baby shower today and dropped it. It fell on the back left corner near the screen. The screen is cracked and no longer works, but everything else still appears to function normally. We just bought this in December and I'm sure that wouldn't be covered under warranty. Does anyone have any idea on what type of repair costs we could be looking at?

Many credit cards offer free repair (you have to cover some of the costs). So if you used a credit card you might be fine. A friend of mine got back 800 dollars for a repair on his Sony (child cracked the screen).

If you can make the repairs yourself, you can pick up a new LCD screen on ebay for about $135-150. If you can't then it'll probably cost at least twice that much and probably three times that much.

Send your camera to KEH and get a free estimate. You'll have a better idea of the repair cost.

Many credit cards offer free repair (you have to cover some of the costs). So if you used a credit card you might be fine. A friend of mine got back 800 dollars for a repair on his Sony (child cracked the screen).

I'll have to look into that. I did use a CC for the purchase.

If you can make the repairs yourself, you can pick up a new LCD screen on ebay for about $135-150. If you can't then it'll probably cost at least twice that much and probably three times that much.

Send your camera to KEH and get a free estimate. You'll have a better idea of the repair cost.

I very well may be able to do the repair, but wasn't sure about something else being messed up internally. At least if there was everything would be fixed by sending it in. I'll look into KEH, I just tried going to the site but couldn't get to the repair center portion of the website.

This is true. There should be plenty of info available online and videos to show how to replace the LCD. So if you are a handy person this can be an easy fix.

Is the outside of the camera damaged at all besides the cracked screen? You're probably right about it not being covered under warranty, but if there is no other damage, it doesn't hurt to find out.

I'll have to look into that. I did use a CC for the purchase.

Amex only has 3 months, but Visa often has 6 months. Check the website of your credit card company. Things may differ in individual countries, but buyers' protection is usually part of the offers.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom