1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Dropped my D300

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by Alan.Tran, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Alan.Tran

Alan.Tran

Jun 5, 2008
    California
    I dropped my D300 with a 70-200 attached from about 10 inches, nothing too high. The camera and lens are fine but now everytime I try to mount a lens that's not the 70-200, it takes a lot of force to get the lens on (I have to use two hands). I think the lens mount on the D300 and the 70-200 might be out of alignment. Anyone have any ideas?

Alan

2. jadog2

jadog2

Dec 18, 2007
    SF
    One idea would be to send it in to Nikon in Southern California.

3. Alan,
    Sorry to hear that. Sounds like a visit to Nikon repair will be required.
    I know it's not going to be helpful this time, but since I am not a professional photographer I found I could add my camera and other equipment to the Personal Articles Policy I originally purchased to cover my wifes jewelry (which isn't covered by normal homeowners policy). The cost was only about $1.32 per thousand dollars of coverage and covers accidental damage like from dropping, moisture, or even losing a lens. There is no deductable It doesn't cover maintenance. I got an extended maint contract from Nikon for the D300 to cover maint.
    Hopefully it will be a minor repair to get your D300 back in proper working order.

4. Interesting, I may need to look into insurance as well. I've been wanting to go on some crazy adventures and breaking my camera would definitely hold me back. Thanks for the info!

5. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

you better get the crazy adventure policy a little more jak but worth it.

6. jmark

jmark

Feb 6, 2007
    Greer, SC
    I did the same Rick. Well worth the piece of mind in my book.

7. sorry to hear of this issue
    good luck
    i agree with the need for repair

please keep us informed

8. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Gosh! Sorry to hear this.

Seems to be quite a lot of people dropping stuff of late.:eek: 

9. Add another klutz here. At an air show last weekend I dropped my D300 on the concrete taxi way. Didn't have a lens on it. The drop was about 3 feet and it bounced a couple of times. Battery came out and the LCD cover came off. No real marks on the camera and the only thing I noticed was that the Err message was flashing when I picked it up. Turned it off and then on and no more message. Shot all day with it and my other D300. Never had a blip.

10. jlmoon

jlmoon

May 13, 2008
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Sounds like some good neck straps are in order! NEVER NEVER run around without one. Oh, and do watch your step too! Seen some fall with cameras around neck.. NOT GOOD!!

11. jafo

jafo

Jun 11, 2008
    Chatsworth, CA
    That's part of the reason you spent more on the D300... Durability. If that had happened with a D80 it would have been game over.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.