Dropped my SB600 repair question?

My SB600 was dropped on the floor from some bleachers in a gym and now the zoom function zooms and shows the length, but after a couple seconds it shows a couple dashes. Also when it is left on for a few minutes the batteries get extremely hot. I tried to fire it once with the camera and it seemed to work ok. I am wondering if Nikon repairs these and if anyone has any ideas on how much to get it repaired. I really don't want to try it on the camera again and possibly fry the camera.

It may be a problem in the
batteries chamber-you
should ask a local lab to check it.

if the fix will be expensive,a better idea is
to buy a new SB900 ,or a second hand SB800.

Yours retained more functionality than mine when it dropped. Mine was in it's protective pouch, dropped from a table to an office chair to the floor. Total vertial was say 3'. End result - completely dead unit. Wouldn't power on or do anything at all.

I sent it back to Nikon, repair was just over $100. I went ahead and got it fixed as that was still cheaper than replacing it (didn't want an SB400). Pretty quick turnaround too.

I ended up sending it in to Nikon to have them check it over. I will only be out the shipping if I don't get it fixed, but after looking at the the cost of a replacement I will most likely have them repair it. My son did find a flickr site with pictures on how to take it apart and fix it, but I need it for my sons wedding in 3 weeks and took a chance with Nikon.

Thanks for the replies.

My sb600 had a broken zoom motor for the last two years. The flash worked fine, but lacked the zoom functionality. It didn't get super hot, but it did show the dashes you mention.

During the interim, I opened it up and moved the zoom all the way forward, effectively sitting the flash tube at the 24mm setting. This allowed it to provide coverage for all focal lengths, but without the zoom function it lost efficiency and hence power at the more "tele" ends. But it still worked fine.

Without trying too hard, I ran searches every once in a while on ebay for "SB600 as is," or "SB600 Broken." Never found one until this last week, here on the for sale forum. I posted a "WTB broken SB600" thread, explaining that all I needed was a functioning zoom motor. I got one, and when it arrived I pulled it apart, then transferred over the zoom motor to mine.

Work perfectly. It's great having my SB600 back!

Glad you got your working Bravin. I am under a time limit with my son getting married and needing the flash for that. I would have liked to take it apart and try to fix it. My grip for my D200 was a broken one that I replaced the battery clips in and had a like new grip for $50. I will post what Nikon has to say when they get it.

Good luck with the SB600 Chris. What's shocking is that this is my second SB600, bought a very different times, yet I recall them being in the $200 range new. Now when I look to the new SB700 market, they are all in the $350+ range, used SB600's seem to fetch more than $200 now, and SB800's, which used to fetch $325 used, now seem to regularly go for over $400 used. I'm like what is going on?

Good luck with the SB600 Chris. What's shocking is that this is my second SB600, bought a very different times, yet I recall them being in the $200 range new. Now when I look to the new SB700 market, they are all in the $350+ range, used SB600's seem to fetch more than $200 now, and SB800's, which used to fetch $325 used, now seem to regularly go for over $400 used. I'm like what is going on?

Thanks for the replies. I agree with you Bravin on the prices so I just approved the repair from Nikon $153 and change for repairs, shipping and tax. After seeing the replacement prices I felt it was well worth the price for the repairs. Hopefully it will be back for my sons wedding.

Just checked the status of the repair on my SB600. Delivery is scheduled for tomorrow sometime. This is great turnaround from Nikon Service. Total cost was $152.00 including tax and return shipping. I don't feel it was too bad of a price to repair it since it did fall about 18 feet. I will have my flash for my son's wedding on June 4th so I am happy.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom