dropped Nikon D800

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by barry lloyd, Nov 14, 2017 at 1:13 PM.

1. barry lloyd

barry lloyd

Jun 12, 2007
    UK
    Yes it had to happen eventually I suppose. This was because of not ensuring it was on a tripod quick release plate properly . it damaged the top screen and casing.

9JBEkSB.

As it is insured I decided first to ask the insurers what the claim proceedure was against getting a quote first. I got a claim form to download which i filled in and also included two photos of the damage. Guess it is a lot easier to show than explain. It took a week, by snail mail, for the insurance agents to forward on the claim .

today
    I had a phone call from insurers and they are arranging for the camera to be collected tomorrow . Having seen photos of the damage they think (I say hopefully) it is repairable, but have to wait a report from their people. Out of interest they did say I could get a local estimate as an alternative but I decided it was better to let their people look at it. That way I can't be accused of upping the bill and make a fraudent claim. If making a genuine claim one has to be absolutely honest from the outset or one could land in deep trouble.

Needless to say I am as sick as a pig over this as Ibought the camera from my fathers inheritance money, so it has sentimental value as well. i have remembered to remove the memory cards and hot shoe cover, but they want the battery left in, which is understandable

Ok it is back to using my backup Nikon D300 camera for a time until i know the outcome.

2. Ouch!!! Hope all works out well for you.

3. barry lloyd

barry lloyd

Jun 12, 2007
    UK
    so do I. have sent you a PM

4. web52

web52

May 9, 2008
    houston tx
    Ouch! Let us know how it turns out.

5. barry lloyd

barry lloyd

Jun 12, 2007
    UK
    It is being collected by courier this afternoon

6. barry lloyd

barry lloyd

Jun 12, 2007
    UK
    Meanwhile my new Nikon D810 has arrived this morning and what a difference. the handhold has gone back to the same as the D300, why on earth the altered it for the D800 beats me.
    One thing as well I was struggling with the colour red on the D800, never seemed to get it right. Just taken a quick photo of a red flower and it is spot on with the D810
    Here is the photo,
    Yes I know the criticisms that may come and fully aware or what is wrong. This is purely about getting the right colour red out of the camera without any editing apart from changing to Jpeg for the forum
    cDz9HB2.

So nice getting the colour exactly correct at last without a load of editing
    The camera straight out of the box, not even added the strap yet
    DX8T2yM.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017 at 7:41 AM
  7. barry lloyd

barry lloyd

Jun 12, 2007
    UK
    Just had a phone call and my camera is repairable.
    top screen and display replace and focus realigned. Also top casing to be replaced as well