1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Dropped SB600

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by ashman, Jul 9, 2008.

1. I took my knapsack out of my car today completely forgetting the bottom was unzipped and flung it over my shoulder, then I heard the sound of something hitting the asphalt, my SB600. It powers on and the display works, it was flashing when I pressed the FLASH button, but now it wont. I have mounted it on two different bodies and it does not flash in any mode. Guess it has to go in for an estimate. Any ideas?

2. JDann24

JDann24

Dec 15, 2007
    Garland, Texas
    Send it in. Theres no telling what the problem is, so don't wait any longer and send it in.

3. Khaisy

Khaisy

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    Yep, send. my wife has dropped my SB800 same deal as you. it tool 3 weeks and $129 I feel for you .. luckily I have 4 flashes I was able to get by.. good luck

4. Well I just picked up a used one which I am waiting to receive for $160.00, if the repair is more then $80 I'll just look for another used one.

AM

5. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I had exactly the same thing happen with an SB800. It is now at Nikon on "parts hold" :mad:  Estimate is $171 including return shipping :frown:

6. I sent my SB800 in for repairs caused by dropping it and the final bill with shipping was $128.00. Not a good lesson to have to learn.

7. I dropped it off today at Nikon Canada, they said they would have an estimate by Wednesday next week, lets see that they say.

AM

8. My estimate is $109. :smile:

9. My SB600 fell about a foot off my car seat . After that it would just turn itself off with a slight bump . I opened it myself , moved all the plugs around , closed it again and it's been fine since . Still wondering what was wrong though .

10. NPA2008

NPA2008

Apr 15, 2008
    USA
    A few months ago I was at a Japanese garden when I heard a loud noise. An SB-800 fell out of my bag and hit the wooden deck I was standing upon. The battery cover came off and the batteries were rolling towards the edge of the deck. I recovered them at the last moment. They nearly went into the murky pond. Fortunately, nothing was wrong with the SB-800. Apparently, the wood attenuated the fall.

11. wv1973

wv1973

Apr 14, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    I dropped mine a few weeks back, a SB600 that is and the estimate was not worth the repairs. Instead they offered to sell me a new one at a discounted rate. I opted to instead upgrade to a SB800 for 300.00 new with 3 yr warranty.

12. You are almost bank on, its $111 with tax brings it to $126.00. Not sure what to do, its about half the price of a new flash. Have to think about it, they didn't say anything in their voice mail about offering a rebate on a newer one and just said a circuit has to be replaced.

AM

13. That's a tough one but I do believe they completely refurbish your flash when they fix it. My SB800 was $128 with shipping and I went ahead and got it fixed.

14. I thought about it and told them to go ahead, they said 5-10 days.

AM

15. CougarWilbur

CougarWilbur Guest

Does 'refurbish' include fresh batteries?

16. Smacked my old SB600 on the driveway...$117.00

17. I dropped my SB-600 off an 8 foot high light stand outside, and it survived. Put the batteries back and it's worked like a dream since.

18. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    You're kidding right? :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.