Drug PJohnP around BBSP for 5 1/2 hours today

Discussion in 'Birds' started by GonzoBernelli, Jun 2, 2007.

1. It was a pleasure to finally meet John. I took him on his first visit to BBSP today and we both had so much of a good time talkin', walkin' and shootin'.

Here are some of the memories of the visit (a rather exceptional day for reasons that shall soon be self-evident)

For a guy used to high and dry he did really well in the heat and humidity, but after of 5 1/2 hours both of use were a bit "dragging our butts" at the end of it (only 90 degrees and 90 % humidity - usually it is much worse down here!)

400mm, TC20, pretty much full frame
    GCNH_Portrait_5904.

Sweet lighting!
    GBHinTreeGap_6016.

Swan imitation
    GBHSwan_5981.

Tri-Colored Heron dunking for a fish
    TriDunk_5932.

Tri-Colored doing in-flight flip (next frame)
    TriFlightFlip_5933.

The beauty of the LGH
    LGHCloserPlease_6046.

Thank you, John, for making time in your busy schedule for our visit today - it was much enjoyed!

2. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Nick :

Gee, this was a pleasure for me ! I got to wander around a location with a cornucopia of birds, not to mention more alligators than a man could shake a stick at ! Thanks so much for being a tour-guide to the park and an all-around fun guy to go out shooting with.

I'll try and post a shot or two soon.

John P.

3. Awesome shots. All are very nice, but I especially like #1, #2, and the last one. Well done!

4. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Looks like a great day was had by all of you!

#2 is something special. The lighting in that one is a bit unusual and it enhances the image tons. There is no question that one should be printed LARGE!

5. Thanks everyone!

Shooting those Tri-Colors can be incredibly difficult, because with the wings at rest you have a great 18% gray bird to meter from, the you setup the EV. Sometime their bright white undersides "mirrors" the sunlight away from the lens and you get nice well-balanced shots. Other times like these two the reflected light off the white is directed right up the shooting axis and you end up with hundres or thousands of 255, 255, 255's, like these.

I did get the shots, however, which are "good 'nuf" for illustration purposes, but wouldn't make it to first base in a competition.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2007
  6. Wonderful images, Nick. Sounds like you two had a great time out shooting. John is lots of fun to shoot with, and very helpful with his extensive knowledge of lenses. Of course, he's also bad to shoot with because he'll lead one to be tempted to hit the BUY button on the B&H website if you're not careful! :wink: *No, Sandi, you don't NEED a 200-400VR lens, she says to herself.*

I love the LGH shot, and yes, that is very sweet lighting on the GBH in the second shot. Well done, Nick, well done!

7. Nick excellent series, the lighting was beautiful. Sounds like you guys had a good time.

Louie

8. Sweet shots Nick. And the last one is a real beaut. Now I'm really jealous, as you got to meet John!! And he and I only live 40 miles apart!!

9. Some really nice shots, Nick. The first and last especially appealed to me.

I can only imagine how much fun it was to meet and shoot with John.

10. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    David :

Heh. Well, I'm on a five week business trip period, so I'm arguably not "living" so close to you these days... :eek::rolleyes:

... but we're going to get out and shoot together one of these days, I promise. :smile:

John P.

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Yep thats what is is here now..90's and I think 100 % humidity. I sure understand the butt draggin

I love the GBH portraying a swan:>)))))

All very nice shots

12. #2 lighting is one of a kind!