DSLR and B/W filters..

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by italy74, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Just posted on the lens lust forum but I guess here's more appropriate... Sorry

Hi all there

I'm wondering if, shooting on a RED wall with a longitudinal crack, to emphatize that crack I could shoot in b/w + a RED/ORANGE filter on the lens. It's too long explaining why I'm not able to change it in PP. I'd just like to know if it could work, thanks. For what I know, the wall should be "brightened" by the filter effect and the black crack should pop up better.

All the best.

2. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    The short answer is that colored filters do not have the same effect on a digital sensor as they have on film. I've experimented with B&W filters on DSLRs and didn't see the same effect that they had on film. In the end, the filters seemed to hurt more than they helped.
    Post processing is the way to fly.....

3. Thank you

Hi Baywing, yesterday on late night I saw your reply. I tried to shoot b/w against an inner yellow wall with a yellow filter and yes, there was no effect at all, at least in the lcd screen. No problem, anyway, mine wanted to be just a "pour parler" that sometimes could have been useful.

Thanks again, especially for sharing knowledge.

All the best

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Using a saturated color filter causes a loss of resolution and tonality.