dSLR carry habits.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bozola, Jul 20, 2008.

1. bozola

bozola

Feb 28, 2006
    Seattle WA
    I would like to know how you carry your dSLR with you..

all the time? most of the time? some of the time? only when you want to shoot?

I do the latter. I wish that I could remember to take it with me more often.

Any thoughts, comments or opinions or ideas would be appreciated!

2. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Only when I want to shoot. I'd love to tote it around everywhere but I just can't be bothered is the truth...

3. More often than not I've got a camera in the car with me, but I don't carry it on my shoulder everywhere I go.

Don

4. I'd love to have it (D2X) with me all the time, but. . . . a day job and the rest of life "get in the way". It does, however, make it on all my road trips.

5. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

i try and take mine every time i leave the house except for work.i always regreat not having my dslr with me the times iforget to bring it along.i mean how difficult is it to have it in the car with you?

6. kwork

kwork

Jun 8, 2006
    NC
    I keep mine in my car 90% of the time.

7. AEDigman

AEDigman

Jan 23, 2007
    West Virginia
    In the car all of the time...never know what you're going to get in to... :biggrin:

8. I keep a camera [ in a small cooler] in my car most of the time. The cooler makes it less obvious that there's a camera and it keeps the camera at a reasonable temp. Probably a false sense of security in both cases...

9. When I'm not working, no. I'd rather carry my Canon SD 1000 P&S. If I do bring my SLR, I bring the D300 with no grip and a prime, usually the 35mm f/2 or the 10.5.

At work, I'm fully loaded with three camera bodies, lens coverage from 10.5mm to 500mm, flashes, 20 gigs worth of CF cards and my laptop with wireless mobile internet. So yes, I like to carry light on my off-time.

10. Casket28

Casket28 Guest

My camera is my MasterCard, or visa. I never ever leave home without it.

Jesse

11. Shhhhhhhh it's a secret.

Ok fine, it pretty much goes with me. Sometimes I choose to leave it, so that I cannot shoot even if I want to. That way I focus on what I am suppost to be doing!!

12. bett

bett

Mar 31, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I have one in the car all the time.
    It stays in an old green pillow case, on the passenger side floor.

13. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    And here I am thinking I'm the only photo nerd that drags his camera everywhere.

I've recently "upgraded" from a D200 to a D40. I'm still shooting a lot with the D200, but the '40 is my new mistress that I take everywhere... :Love:

14. 151proof

151proof

Jun 6, 2008
    SD
    I try to take my camera everywhere I go. Its in my car about 95% of the time, when on the road and even when I leave for work its one of my things I have to have when leaving the house. Mounted on it is my 16-85 vr and ready to shoot!

15. bozola

bozola

Feb 28, 2006
    Seattle WA
    Thx for the reply.. I never thought of keeping it in my car. That is a good idea. I love the cooler and pillow case.

I will try it I think.

At least in the car on the weekends.

16. For those who keep it in their car. Consider getting a locking steel toolbox. I bought a large one for all my gear (knack box), but that is not necessary. You could get regular sized one, it would a hold a dslr and a lens or two. The real trick is mounting it. Mine is padlocked to a D-ring that already existed in the rear seat area of my truck. I had to cut a hole in the bottom of the box so the ring could pass up inside where I slipped on a padlock. There isn't even a way to access the D ring now as the box fits securely over it. The box itself is padlocked. It's not perfect but it sure slows down a smash and grab thief. And when I don't want it in the truck, I remove the lock from the D ring and pull the toolbox out. Simple easy and secure.

17. Normally, I haul mine everywhere, but summer in SoCal is so brown/smoggy, it's hardly worth taking... plus I don't dare leave it in the vehicle, even in a cooler... on 90+ degree days, the inside of my truck gets so hot, I can hardly touch things like the steering wheel at first, I can't imagine what that would do to the camera/lenses. Also, I'm in the process of looking into a dual-sport motorcycle very soon, and that will have even less room/safety for a camera to go with me everywhere. :frown:

18. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

say wha?

19. In my purse 95% of the time. (yes, I have a purse the size of a diaper bag, just for this use)

20. bozola

bozola

Feb 28, 2006
    Seattle WA
    Any other tips?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.