Dslr users only?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jarrell, May 3, 2005.

1. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Is the Cafe for dslr owners/users, or for any and all Nikon camera folks? I was just wondering/
    Thanks,
    Jarrell

2. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    and what about film? :)

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    All is ok for the good ol' folks we have been friends with for so long.

Crack that ol' 990 out Jarrell.

I will still post with my 5000.

We even have a fugi in here.

See no problem that I know of.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Same, same Iliah,

We have film shooters posting here. :>))

You film shooters know more than us new Digital folks.

5. Well, I've used Nikon cameras in the past, and use a Nikon body with Fuji guts and software, with Nikon lenses now, but I still won't give up my non-DSLR stuff either. Why should I? *LOL* I think this forum is more for photography enthusiasts who are of like minds, not so much the "must be a Nikon DSLR". Should be open to all.
    Jarrell, a trip down memory lane https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=2941

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  6. Jarrell. You are asking the wrong question.

a. Of course you are welcome here. Anyone who can articulate an intelligent response or pose a stimulating question should be more than comfortable to do so.

But...beware...

b. In reality, you should ask yourself "do I want to hang around a bunch of people who will have me wanting a DSLR, several weighty Nikkors and a dual processor workstation?".
    Have someone hide your AMEX ASAP!

7. Filmilimin, Filimm, Flimminn.... :?: :?: :?:

I have to go look that up, I think my Grand-dad told me about that stuff once, a couple of years ago when I was but a small child. Perhaps that was the day that I had to walk 20 miles to school in 6 feet of snow, uphill both ways, barefoot, only to come home and then have to work 18 hours in the coal mine to feed the chickens..........

I think I need some sleep :roll:

So what the heck is a DeiSLeR and why should I care anyway :?: :?: Is that some sort of train engine :?: I mean, I just use my camera with them changeable thingy-ma-doobers that hang off the front........ :wink:

8. Oh Vernon, Jarrell already IS a DSLRer. He jumped ship from the NTF a few years back. By the way, Vern, love your avatar - still just a big kid, aren't you!! *LOL*

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jarrell,

The official answer of course is the Cafe is for all who enjoy photography and want to discuss this passion with like minded folks from around the world. Based on the name, I would expect most to be Nikon shooters, but we would never deny membership just because you shoot something else, and you certainly don't have to have a DSLR (heck, the wife of one of the owners posts her beautiful CP8800 shots here often...;))

Frank

10. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Thanks for the answers! It was something that had crossed my mind now and then.
    Sandi, do you still use the 990? That's a beautiful shot!
    Jarrell

11. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    What about phone cams, they ok too? ;c)

And, since Joe Marques has now gone over to "the dark side", is it alright for him to continue to show us his great portrait shots? Sure hope so, since this great place would be more like the FM forums then...any brand ok, so long as you don't flame the camera that took the shot.

12. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Re: What about phone cams, they ok too? ;c)

The only way that Joe will get flamed is if he doesn't continue to be an active member of the Cafe.... :lol:

Seriously, I for one would love to continue to see Joe's great photographs.

Joe, are you listening??

13. Of course not! I still have my trusty 990. I can't seem to part with it. Here's one of my favorite. Eileen Donan, Scotland....3mp.

14. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Rich, that is an amazing shot. My, my.. with a 990 no less.. :)
    Jarrell

15. Hey Rich,

That lowly camera is producing some stair case edges! Look at the roof lines of that castle. Why don't you upgrade to a real camera, like the D2X... :lol:

;-)

I too don't care what camera is used to produce an image. What counts is the ability of the photographer to tell his/her story, and Jarrell, you are certainly a master at that, no matter what you shoot with. You'll never know how much I have learned (and laughed) over the years by reading your posts and looking at your images.

16. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    I'm w/you guys....it doesn't matter what you shoot....as long as you shoot! Besides, for me, one of the best things about this cafe is the camaraderie that is here. I've met so many wonderful people through the cafe that I wouldn't have met otherwise. I consider them friends and it doesn't matter what camera they own....or what they look like....or where they live....they are just friendly, talented, fun-loving people and I respect that.

Thanks Frank....I am guessing that's me you are talking about.... 8)

17. Well....I worked on it a bit since I liked the image. The clouds make it, I think. We had a sunny "hole" in passing showers. I used Neat Image and sharpened very carefully to avoid ghosts along the roofline; they would have showed what with the dark sky.

Rich

18. Hmmm... Sounds like I have the "ok" to post some photos from my old Canon G3 -- that is, if I ever feel the urge to use it again. :wink: :mrgreen:

Well, here's an old one I like from over a year ago, if that's ok w/ y'all. :D

_Man_

19. Re: What about phone cams, they ok too? ;c)

Now, as a "long time member and general old fellow", I just have to take exception to this. This is, after all, the Nikon Cafe, and if we do not maintain some rules and decorum, then what do we have? Now I may get flamed for these remarks by many, including the management, but someone has to speak up and put a foot down as to opening this place up to other manufacturers gear.

I do think that, with the appropriate request and follow-up, we could grant membership. At the minimum I would suggest the following:

1. A bright yellow Nikon sticker on at least one camera bag
    2. Wearing of a Nikon shirt, Hat or button when out in a crowd with that "other" camera
    3. Pasting the word Nikon on the front of that "other" camera
    4. Covering up all White lenses with black electricians or gaffers tape, or better yet, paint......

#3 and #4 grants automatic admission, but must be accompanied by a picture of said gear, perhaps as the new Avatar, #1 and #2 get bonus Nikon points.

As always, I am quite and completely serious, especially in the case of Joe "Creepy" Marquez....

20. Re: What about phone cams, they ok too? ;c)

Steve,

I had no idea that Joe went to Canon. I guess I don't read dpreview much to find these things out. I still say if he would have waited, he would have loved the D2X and gone for it.