Dubai Marina beachfront panorama

I tried a different viewpoint for a panorama of the skyline at Dubai Marina, going to the very end of the crescent that surrounds the Palm Jumeirah as a breakwater.

Visibility was reasonably good but not as clear as I would have liked.

I managed a beige 'golden hour' shot, but as the sun set the moon rose above the skyline. I didn't have the time to wait for near darkness though - next time!

The view shows 2 1/2 miles of the waterfront from the Westin Hotel (west shoreline) to the Sheraton Hotel (east shoreline). In the middle is the Infinity Tower, which twists 90 degrees when complete and it approaching its full height of 330m - it's behind schedule though as the foundations flooded in an accident in 2007 - see link:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/architecture/infinity.asp

To the left is what will be the biggest concentration of 300+ skyscrapers in the world, and to the right in Dubai Marina, the beige monstrocity that is the multiple tower complex called Jumeirah Beach Residence, with various hotels along the shoreline.

When I first visited Dubai in 2001, if I was standing where this panorama was taken, I'd be in 50ft of water and the skyline would not exist at all, apart from a few of the relatively low rise hotels!

16 shots at 48mm, F16, ISO200, stitched in PTGui. I didn't want to bump the contrast too much, which you generally have to do in Dubai as the visibility at a distance is not the best, to keep it as realistic as possible. You can click for a slightly larger version, but not the full size.

p715409434-6.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
I also agree with the contrast bumping issue. This was well done, Phil; looks like I may have to do a stopover in Dubai one day!

Nicely captured. I can feel the sizzling hot weather just by looking at the pic. Thanks for posting.:smile:

It's not quite sizzling yet, Tony Ad. Down to the mid to low 20s at night and up to the mid 30s by day. It's just that generally there's a hazeof dust in the atmosphere. You have to have a calm day, preferably on a Friday morning, when there's less traffic and construction kicking up dust and no wind.

Thanks Darylb

I tried a night version from roughly the same spot last night - 11 shots at 35mm and F8, with 5 exposures per shot (1", 2", 4", 8", 15") - you can click to get a big version to zoom in on:

p705348080.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom