Ducati CF cards??

Anyone using these?? Are they really faster than the others??

Haven't even touched one, but you should check to see if your bodies support the higher data transfer to make use of the (D3 apparently does)...otherwise they might not make that much of a difference. I don't own a D2xs so can't look up the specs. Your computer should be able to make use of the higher transfer speed.

I was wondering too. Ive heard that the Ducati's were being discontinued and that the new Etreme IV's had the same read & write speed (45mbs ) as the Ducati had.

I use Lexar's UDMA cards in my D3 and D300 and they're great -- both during the actual shooting process and later in the uploading to computer process. Quite speedy! The D3 and the D300 can take full advantage of this speed, but older cameras cannot, so in the D200, for instance, the speed of the card would be more like an ordinary one. I believe the same applies to Sandisk and other cards.

A

adrianaitken

Don, is your buffer upgrade too much for your existing CF cards ?

I was wondering too. Ive heard that the Ducati's were being discontinued and that the new Etreme IV's had the same read & write speed (45mbs ) as the Ducati had.
They were discontinued for a while, but that seems to have changed. Perhaps SanDisk re-negotiated the licensing. As of yet there are no 8GB Extreme IV cards rated at 45MB/s. It appears that SanDisk intends to reserve the Ducati line for 4GB and 8Gb cards at the 45 MB/s rate and then continue the Extreme IV line at 45MB/s for 16GB cards.

I am using the Ducati's and one other brand in my D3's. For the time being the more expensive Extreme IV 16GB cards offer more risk than advantage with my type of shooting. This might change now that I have the D3 buffer upgrade.

I nearly bought some Lexar cards recently, then decided to stay with the Ducati and the trend towards very high end cards. For data transfer I use Lexar readers. I went through two SanDisk top-of-the-line readers in two months. They were complete junk, not made to last.

I have a Lexar UDMA and a Ducati CF card in my D3. The Ducati is just a little bit faster to write to the card. Which means that my D3 (without the buffer upgrade) will go about 8 more shots before hitting the buffer. I also have seen that the Ducati reads faster, but not by much. If the ultimate performance is what you want, then get the Ducati. If the better value is what you are after, you might want to look at Lexar. BTW, i also have a Sandisk firewire reader and it is real fast. With the Ducati card and the firewire, my computer reads the D3 files as fast as the old reader did with D2H files!

Ducati is rated at 300x and Extreme IV is 266x. There are a lot of other UDMA cards on the market that are 300-350x.

However, these are all read speeds. The Ducati cards can write at almost 300x while a lot of other cards cannot.

I have tested a lot of CF cards recently and the Ducati 8G is still slightly faster than other 300-350X cards. The difference is small, maybe around 1 to 2 frames in continuous RAW shooting.

All 8G cards are faster than 16G cards in write, so if you need the maximum burst in camera, get 8Gs.

16G cards can read faster than 8G. If you have 1394B reader and computer, or if you are using PCI/eSATA readers and you want maximum transfer rate to your computer get 16G cards.

It is available at around $250 retail here.

The Trenscend 300X and Adata 350X 16G are both faster than it for read speed.
Are you serious about the Transcend being faster than the new Extreme IV? I am using the black 300X Transcend cards in slot 2 for overflow and the Ducati cards in slot 1. This seems like the perfect match. I guess that I should keep this configuration until the 16GB cards become compelling enough to upgrade.

The Transcend 300X 16G UDMA card is rated at 53Mb/sec read, but only 34Mb/write. It is faster than the Ducati in read if you have the right reader.

The Transcend 300X 8G and 4G are both 45Mb/sec write. The 4G is slightly faster than the 8G in read, 49Mb vs 48. This is assuming you have a UDMA 5 reader. In the D300/D700 the 16G is definitely slower than a Ducati 8G and Extreme IV 8G. I don't know about the Extreme IV 16G, haven't tested it yet.

(...) The difference is small, maybe around 1 to 2 frames in continuous RAW shooting.
(...)

I fully agree to that.

I use one Ducati 4 GB in my D300, along with other, slower cards.

The difference is one or two raws or max. 4 to 6 JPEGs at 8 FPS.

A nice reserve, but nothing I really "need".

Regards,

Mattes

Good info here folks..good thread for all of us. I've been using the Extreme lV 8 GB in my stuff with no problems whatsoever. My whole reasoning for was faster download times to the desktop and the firewire 800 card and reader is more than adequate. The only bottleneck in my workflow now is waiting on LR to render the thumbnails....

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom