Duck Stamps

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Uncle Frank, May 1, 2005.

1. Every year, the Rotary Club of Saratoga hosts an Art Fair at West Valley College. Since Saratoga is one of the wealthiest
    communities in the Bay area, they attract a number of high end artists, with some canvases selling for thousands, and
    some photos priced at $500 and up. We rarely buy anything, but it's always an enjoyable event, with music and
    good food.

I've brought my digicam in past years, but the artists aren't very receptive to people taking shots of their works,
    as you might imagine. This year, I went armed with my d70 and 28-70mm/2.8, and asked the artists if they'd mind
    posing for an environmental portrait, featuring them in front of their creations. To my delight, every single one of
    them agreed, and some asked that I send them a link to their pictures.

I was really jazzed when Robert Steiner agreed to pose in front of his wonderful images. He's one of the premiere
    wildlife artists in the country, and has a number of duck stamps to his credit. In fact, his sign advertised his availability
    for commissions, with fees ranging from $25,000 to $100,000, but warns that there's a two year waiting list! This is my
    idea of a succesful artist 8).

2. Good to see you enjoying that new glass. Great post.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    That is just awesome Frank. What a thrill to actually meet such talented people.

4. Harris, thanks, buddy. Sorry I had to break off our call, but Nancy was seriously pi$$ed that I left her to wander
    by herself :cry:. Hope all is well with your lady.

5. It's that expensive glass that swayed them to pose for you. Pretty impressive to capture this gentleman and you have taken a fine image of him.

6. Robert Steiner does some great stuff, must have been a thrill. Great portrait and story Frank. Waiting for your hummer pics soon ;-)

7. Thanks, Frank! The biggest thrill was when he agreed to pose in front of his artworks. He didn't exactly jump at the
    chance :lol:. But there's something to what Gordon said. He checked out my gear, decided I was serious, and
    gave me the shot I was after 8).

8. Thanks, Gordon and Keith! I posted a number of artist pictures on the people pic forum, but thought
    you birders would have a special appreciation for the Steiner portrait.

9. Impressive Frank!

10. Thanks, Dave. What really impresses me are the fees he commands for his works. :shock:. In a brief chat, I learned he uses
    photographs as the bases for his paintings, so he must be pretty good with a camera, too.