Duck with Sigma 150-500mm

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by JohnK, Jul 25, 2008.

1. JohnK

JohnK

Aug 6, 2006
    Pacific NW
    It's no 200-400, but overall it's not to bad. OS works decently, it feels different than VR but it does work.

I never think about the size of claws a duck has. :smile:

ISO: 140
    Exposure: 1/250 sec
    Aperture: f/8.0
    Focal Length: 500mm

DSC_8578.

DSC_8578_Duck_Feathers_Crop.

View attachment 227117

2. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    nice example for this lens. Thanks for sharing.

3. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    Nice! Now I have to go buy one :mad: 

This forum costs me too much money!!!

4. gd1418

gd1418

Feb 3, 2008
    Gurgaon, India
    Just a small 'stupid' question - these shots were taken handheld or on a monopod/tripod? Since SIGMA lenses are quite noisy and jerky when autofocussing, how good was the OS feature?

5. JohnK

JohnK

Aug 6, 2006
    Pacific NW
    The duck was hand held, I think the version of OS they have in this lens works quite well. It's definitely louder than Nikons AFS and VR, but it works. I haven't noticed the focus being jerky, but the OS does seem to take slightly longer to really 'lock on' compared to VR and does seem rougher before it settles down.

I have a couple shots of a rabbit taken hand held at 1/50th @ 500mm that are clear enough to see it's whiskers even sized down for the web. The light was poor, early morning before the sun had cleared the trees, ISO 640 F/6.3, just a couple snaps out an open car window (I stopped the car first): Cottontail rabbit it's very grainy at 100%. Far from a terrific portrait of a rabbit, but not bad for 1/50th at 500mm and did demonstrate, at least to me, that OS does work.

6. spoot

spoot

Aug 29, 2007
    Vancouver
    Hmmm, I wasn't impressed before with previous pictures I've seen elsewhere from this lens. But That photo is really good! Was the crop of the feathers at 100%?

7. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    it's the best i've seen so far from this lens but i still remain a skeptic

(someone just posted some ospreys shot with it in the bird forum that were.....)

how about a link to a larger version of the duck, these web sized images don't always tell alot

8. This is very excellent in IMO. The light here was almost perfect so that may contribute and I agree with Randy this is the best I have seen. Good work do you have any more to share?

9. tektite

tektite

Jan 23, 2006
    SE NH
    Nice shot! I also have this lens. Perhaps not equal to multi K$ Nikons but some of us don't have the deep pockets for these lenses.
    I found that the Sigma has a learning curve to get the best from it. I'm keeping mine.
    Adios,

10. JohnK

JohnK

Aug 6, 2006
    Pacific NW
    Thanks guys. Yes the feathers and the foot are 100% crops from the original. I also agree, the light was very good which seems to make a big difference with this lens, at least on my D80 in my hands. Unfortunately the light here has only been really good on a couple of days since I got the lens so most of the shots I've taken have not been as good as the duck. I'm also learning that hand holding 500mm is a lot more challenging than hand holding 300mm so I'm still climbing the learning curve.

I've tried uploading the original full size version to Picasa, but they do something to the image and it doesn't look nearly as good as the local original, many more jpeg artifacts. If you want to PM me an email address I can email you the original. One of these days I'll get around to getting a Pbase or Smugmug account setup, but not today.

Here is some moss on a branch, hand held, the branch was maybe 30-40 feet away.
    100% crop
    ISO: 560
    Exposure: 1/800 sec
    DSC_8424_moss_cropped.

I've tried taking shots of a fly with fairly poor results. I just could not get the fly in focus properly, even using a tripod.
    100% crop
    ISO: 160
    Exposure: 1/640 sec
    View attachment 227119

I've taken shots of a rabbit, some deer and osprey but the light was anywhere from poor to really bad for most of them and at higher ISOs and so are what you'd expect, a bit soft and grainy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.