Ducks & Baby Ducks (4 pics)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by cajun angel, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Well, can't say I exactly had fun when Mariam, Josh, and I went to the duck pond this evening. Jimmy wanted to stay home to watch a favorite cartoon. So, we get to the pond, Mariam and Josh spread out the blanket, then proceed to throw cracked corn out to the ducks - well they threw it so close to the blanket, I couldn't get any photos - all I had with me was my 300mm. Okay, so I waited and waited, and more waiting, when finally a whole bunch of baby ducks showed up. Then some kids showed up - the brats started chasing the babies and oh how I was getting mad! Their Mom didn't seem to care either. I thought I yelled loud enough for the kids to hear me "stop chasing the ducks!" But of course they didn't listen. Well, between losing light, forgetting some crucial points - like my camera settings, these are all I have to show and they're not my best either.

841966276_4a02e6fb54_b.

View attachment 106591

View attachment 106592

View attachment 106593

2. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    those ducks are very cute. i especially like picture 2, although it is a bit grainy. perhaps you set your ISO too high. here is a picture of my ducks taken with my D50:

[​IMG]

3. You'r right, my ISO was too high and I didn't realize it until I got home. I don't even know how it got set to 800! Nice photo too! BTW!

4. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    that happens to me too. i set it to 800 (or 1600) then forget to set it back later! my duck is a water duck. she drinks water:

[​IMG]

5. That's another nice duckie you have there! Most ducks like water one way or another, LOL! If I haven't said to ya before,

WELCOME to the best forum in town!

6. tech1961

tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    You need to find a place where the brats and inconsiderate people dont go.
    I know easier said than done. Lol

7. Well actually I have a favorite place, but right now, it's 25 ft above flood level and no access anywhere! We'll be looking for more places to go for sure! This particlar place has a paved walk for riding bicycles, walking, etc. We don't always have this problem every time we go there. Today was really out of the ordinary.

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Cute pics Dianne

9. Thanks Gale! I'm hoping we'll go out some time this morning and try finding some more places that aren't quite so "people busy."

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very good images Dianne. Some of your best IMO.

As for the brats, and more concerning, their misguided parents, I've about stopped going to our duck pond for exactly the same reason. People bring dogs, some with no leash (the sign clearly says no dogs), and kids that they encourage to chase, kick, and throw things at the ducks and geese, including babies. I've yelled, glared, stood with hands on hips looking disgusted, but it doesn't always work and rarely lasts. :frown:

This is the reason that I drive the extra miles to go over to the dam, where we can go where there is virtually nobody else. I have to leave earlier, and come home a little later due to the long drive, but I'm usually a whole lot more relaxed. :rolleyes:

11. Dianne I really don't think your ISO setting of 800 is to high and causeing grain or in the case of digital Noise. I think that the road surface has a slight texture to it showing a grainy look but I think the main trouble is lack of contrast for the camera to read so a soft photo is the result. Perhaps you tried to sharpen it to much trying to bring it up better and in doing this the darked areas would look noisey. I shoot 800ISO many times as you need shutter speed for birds cause birds even when standing still seem to have some movement. I have one Nikon body and two Canon bodies and none of these will give me excesive noise at 800ISO if my subject has enought light for the camera to see it as I do and there is some contrast to help. I choose the 800 for shutter speed as if the bird moves the next one in the burst will catch it and most of the time in a sharp manner.
    Also you might try sending your kids to baseball camp to learn how to throw the bread out far enough:biggrin::biggrin::wink:
    Lou

12. Nice set Dianne, even with the high ISO. I would second what Frank has said above. I've stopped going to one of my favorite spots just due to the inconsiderent folks that frequent the place. I know we have to share our resources, but come on some of these folks literally take over the place.

13. Thanks Flew! All our favorite places to go are all 25+ ft above flood level, so no access available. It's not often that something occurs like it did yesterday. I have to admitt I was really surprised to see the babies and wished I could have gotten more pics. They were definitely cute and it was funny watching them run all over the place!

14. Thanks Lou! In the 2nd photo the little babies were in almost a deep shadow and I was trying to be faster - they were not still, people all about, one thing or another. Next time I go over there, I'm taking my 70-300 zoom or the 18-200vr. That way, I can shoot no matter how close they get!

15. Thanks Louis! I don't know if it would do to complain to the city or not, but at least I can say I'm proud of my own kids for minding me and being respectful to the animals. The ducks came up pretty close to the kids and those are the pics I wish I had! Lesson #1 - take more than 1 lens!