Ducks, ducks, everywhere...

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Kevin Scott, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Here is a sampling of various duck shots taken during my last excursion over to you know where, with you know whom....

I don't know any of these breeds so anyone willing to enlighten me is more than welcome to. I promise I'll remember them. :redface:

Northern Shovelers (I think??)
    [​IMG]

Blue wing Teals (??)
    [​IMG]

No idea
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure why but I am really partial to this shot. Kind of reminds me of a finish line shot of a race. D2x did really well with tracking these shots--no firmware upgrade yet.
    [​IMG]

And I know this is a Black Bellied Whistling Duck, fast becoming one of my favorite ducks. Glad to see them finally return back to Viera.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking and thanks also for the ids!

2. Awesome job buddy!!!!!!!!! mallard ducks and yes those are blue wing teals, which is BEAUTIFULLY captured, luv the colors, composition, sharpness, what is not to like!!!! :smile:

3. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Nice duckeys Kevin
    the teals and whistler are super !

4. Killer job getting those shots!

The blue wing teals are very well done

5. Thanks Keith! Are the ducks in #1 mallards or #3 and #4? I thought Mallards had that blue patch and green patch on their wings but these didn't have green heads. Does that mean they're females or just juvies?

6. Those are great and agree looks like a photo finish. Those little suckers sure are fast aren't they

7. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Excellent shots Kevin

8. Roosje

Roosje

May 25, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Those are really beautiful! I am impressed :smile:

Roosje

9. #3 & 4 are female mallards, it is only the males that have the green heads :smile:

10. Kevin, the third and fourth shots looks like Mallard duck females... with the color on the wings..

BTW are you going Quackers over there in Florida already?

11. Like them all --love #3.

Paul

12. I'm going to suggest that #3 and #4 MIGHT be Mottled Ducks. See that black patch near the base of the bill? And, from what I can see in your photos, there is no white in the tail like Mallards have. Problem is -- Mallards and Mottleds can cross-mate, so sometimes you get some hybrids that are hard to pin down. Check with your local Audubon to see what's being "seen" in your area currently.
    These are such great pix -- I just love that Whistling Duck photo.

13. Thanks Ben & Brett! There seem to be quite a few of these teal ducks at Viera. They're just so darn skittish!

14. You ain't just whistlin' Dixie! :wink: But it's good practice and a great opportunity to learn the focusing mechanism of the D2X. I'm having fun practicing.

15. Thanks Harry, Roosje and Puzzle!

16. Only when I'm shooting the ducks in flight!! :smile:

Thanks for the ids, Eric! I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

17. Thanks Paul! I really liked the way #3 turned out too. It's nice to have 8fps cuz their wing positions change so quickly. It's sometimes hard to pick out a favorite from a sequence.

18. I've grown partial to the Whistling Ducks that have grown up and survived at Viera. It's nice to witness nature in the works! Thanks for the kind words and taking the time to give a detailed response! :smile:

19. Very nice once again Kevin. Those ducks are sure fast.

20. Thanks Jim! The ducks are very fast, gotta get the keeper % rate up so more practise this weekend for me!