Ducks in my backyard--D2X Hi Speed Crop and 70-200VR

Discussion in 'Birds' started by GeeJay, Apr 20, 2005.

1. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    These ducks were playing around in the little lake behind my house. I got these with the D2X and the 70-200VR with Hi Speed Crop. First time I've used that crop option and like it.

I had to fool with the color and hope not too much. I never know what I'm doing..just lots of fun getting the pictures and fooling with them...

The alligators hang around in our lakes and we're all hoping they don't get these ducks. These ducks think they own the lake because they've been here since last winter.

Best to you,

Gaye

When I first appeared the ducks walked away from me
    20142652-L.

This one stood on one leg and then peered at me like this. I didn't get his eyes in focus but will next time :)
    20142654-L.

Some golfers came and scared them into the water
    20139095-L.

Later today I found these two males out there playing in the water
    20137398-L.

2. Very colorful Mallards Gaye, I notice that this carries into the water as well so perhaps you tweaked a little too much. I do like your shots, especially #3. Thanks for sharing.

3. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Gordon,

It's the first time I"ve ever fooled with the colors in CS. I figured I'd have to start sometime and what better time than with mallard ducks.. I don't have a clue what I'm doing so I very much appreciate your comments..

I will tweak less next time and I hope that's tomorrow if the alligators don't get the ducks.

I appreciate any comments because that's the only way I'll learn.

Thank you!

Gaye

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gaye,

What was your WB setting on the first two? Looks a little on the cold (blue) side to me. Are you using Auto WB, or some other method? Since our session with Ron, I typically shoot in Kelvin mode.

For sunny days, I usually shoot at 5400 - 5700. Early and late, I shoot at 5900 - 6900, depending on the time of day. If it is shady or cloudy, I typically shoot at around 6300, which is probably a little on the low side.

Nice shots otherwise. I really like your narrative. 8)

Regards,

Frank

5. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Frank,
    I shot in Auto WB today because I was in such a hurry to get out there. It was very cloudy.

I'm making a note of your Kelvin settings and I'm going to try those. You just set to those numbers and do you set EV also when you look at Histogram?

I got just a smattering of the info at Ron's because I was so new to it all. But would sure love to take another session of his because I'd get much more from it this time.

Tomorrow I'll try your settings and many thanks.

The only way I can learn is to post and get comments. I enjoy any comments and take heed of anything that will help in the next round of pictures.

Gaye

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gaye,

I totally understand. I've been to two sessions with Ron, and I still have so much to learn.

With regard to the WB versus EV comp settings, they are pretty much unrelated. The WB setting is just for compensating for the color content of the ambient light. The EV comp is typically used to adjust the exposure of the intended subject when it is significantly different from the default metered value.

As an example, if you are shooting right at sunrise, there will be a ton of red in the light, so you need to compensate with a WB setting in the 5900 to 6700 range. As the sun comes up, you would move the WB more towards a neutral setting around 5200 to 5600.

For EV comp settings, you want to make the individual areas of the picture look like the real world. If you are shooting the sky, the actual value of the sky luminosity may be about 200. Without any EV comp, the metering would bring the sky 'to the meter' (I think this is about 120). If you have a darkish bird, like a Mallard for example, the bird would be pushed down just as much as the sky, so it would just be a dark outline.

What you need to do is to increase the EV comp so that the sky is back at 200, and then the bird would be properly exposed as a result.

Does this make any sense at all??

Frank

7. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Frank,

I have your information printed out and will figure it all out with my camera in hand.

Thanks ever so much for taking the time to help and know others will use this info also.

I'm sure I"ll be back with questions --thanks very much!

Gaye