Duct tape on lenses

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by panama, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Can anyone tell why I've seen some photographers ruin their lenes by putting duct tape around them. I have noticed this especially with photojouralist. What's up with the nasty looking tape around the hood and lens? I don't know about anyone else but I try to take good care of my stuff.

2. I've heard that it deters theft....not sure though. There might be a better reason for it that I'm missing.

3. duct tape is good for emergency repairs on all sorts of stuff so its good to have some handy but the huge roll is really obnoxious to be carrying around all the time like a nascar pit crew fixer-upper. simply transferring some to a round piece of equipment is a popular solution to this dilemma. that way its always around.

hikers usually have it wrapped around a 1 L Nalgene bottle. for cold weather hikers, it might also serve to ID the pee bottle. (its not a joke, i do this myself, you try getting out of a warm sleeping bag in the middle of the night to go for a walk in the snow when its -20F and dark) Skiers often keep it just below the grip of one or both ski poles. snowboarders just sit wine and cry when their stuff breaks until an actual skier shows up to help em out! 8*) Many landscape photographers wrap it around a tripod leg. Rock climbers might think twice about using duct tape to repair the better part of their gear. sports and journalism photographers break everything eventually so they just stick the tape everywhere ahead of time!

4. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Better than duct tape is gaffers tape. I have it on some areas of my 200-400 to avoid scratches where the lens coat doesn't cover.

that is the reason I use it.

Wade

5. On gaffers tape, does it leave a sticky residue when removed??

Thanks

Ted

6. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Im guilty, my nikkor 400 2.8 is missing the little set screw that tightenes the preset focus ring, so I gaffer taped it while in Banff. Since than I never bothered to obtain another "little screw". Its just a little peice. My take is its my lens and I can do what ever I like with it:biggrin:. Besides a little gaffer tape is somtimes a very usefull item.
    Oh ya And my D2H has "red" gaffer on the bottom holding the rubber on. What can I say, I guess Im a hack.
    And to further drag my own name in the mud, Iv used the cardboard tubing for "long lens hood" and yes gaffer taped it to my old Nikkor 135 F2 AIS. I painted it black on the inside and it did work to keep out the flare. It fit perfect.

Greg

7. thrdprophet

thrdprophet

May 13, 2007
    Modesto, CA
    Arcinio man,

Duct tape ain't ugly, its art bro art. :Waldo:

Duct tape is gray and most nikon lenses are Black, sometimes gotta have some flavor and make it gray. We need LENS ART. With some airbursh or something that would be nice.

8. Actualy dude, there is now color duct tape. Red, blue, green, yellow and white. But I have mostly seen black and gray on lenses.

9. any one got white tape on your Nikon telephoto? maybe a red rubber band around the end of it?

10. david7703

david7703

Mar 27, 2008
    melrose ma
    I'm with Wade on this one..once you use Gaffers tape you'll never go back to duct tape!

It doesn't leave a residue, it can be reused (not endlessly mind you, but far better than duct t..).. I use it for all sorts of things, such as the same things as what pinhead uses them for (yep, even the "danger" NOT water bottle for hiking/skiing in the winter), it's repaired broken ski poles, patched tents, lens hoods, camera bodies, ski boots,...the list goes on (in case you haven't noticed, things tend to break when you use them in the cold and on skii's..)

Now the caveat...it's friggin expensive. :(

but like pro-glass..definitely worth it..

just my 1.5 cents worth...

11. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    In film days, many photographers kept bits of duct tape on their camera to quickly position square filters (NDs, etc) over their lens. That way they didn't have to set up a filter holder and mess with adapter rings.

12. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    duct tape residue can be nasty. I'd stick with Gaffers. I actually know a Gaffer incidentally. lol. Well, a semi-retired one. He's on the credits as gaffer for the movie, the Lion and the Darkness with Val Kilmer and Michael Douglas. Ok, that's off subject...

13. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I think you're right...photogs sometimes use GAFFER tape not duct tape!

14. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
  15. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Gaffers tape is holding my 300mm F4 AF together :smile: It rattles quite a bit without it.

16. I have gaffers tape wrapped around my tripod legs. Duct tape around water bottles. Makes great quick tent repair. Here in the NW we are famous for Duct tape a Big Blue Tarps around everything :)

It doesnt have to be pretty, just work :wink:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2008
  17. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Gotta join the club.. I have some under the head of my SB-800 to position a piece of 12 14 gauge wire I used to level the head for use with a flash extender. Another strip holds the tail of my ThinkTank modular belt so it doesn't flap around. A few pieces I ripped to about an inch wide hole the leg covers on my tripod from sliding down.

18. HEY, DONT HATE ON SNOWBOARDERS MANG! btw, i put red tape on my stuff so when im shooting a basketball game or something, and i put my gear down, no one stomps on my stuff. the tape helps with it getting noticed.

19. I was wondering what it was, its a word that doesn't quite translate over here.

The only Gaffer I know is from "The Hobbit" (Sam Gamgee's dad).

20. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    I have some gaffers around my 80-200 to prevent it from going to manual focusing ( it's around that nasty little button that had the bad habit of unlocking when I had my camera on my shoulder ).

I also "gaffed" the hood of my 17-55 so as to have some in case of need as well as ll the logos on my D2H and D50 ( and my M6 :biggrin: ). You may have guessed it I do PJ work …

As to the "why", well one reason being that even if I do take pretty good care of my gear I know that eventually it will get banged up considering what I do ( not to mention sports photography ). Case in point the top of my D2H was starting to wear off because of the rubbing against my side when I carried it on my shoulder so a nice piece of gaffer took care of that. Plus a nice black camera attracts less attention, this being especially true for my Leica, the other cameras being bigger they kind of attract attention with or without logos.