Dueling it out with Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank and I meet once in a while over a cup of real java (no, none of that "virtual stuff" :)), chit-chat in general and compare notes on our respective gear, and marvel at Belle when I bring her along.

It turns out that since the last time we did this, Uncle Frank acquired the 28-70 f/2.8, a.k.a. "the Beast", and I acquired a used D2H, a.k.a. "the Machine Gun". :shock::lol: It's funny (and expensive :!:) how the equipment acquisition syndrome is hitting all of us :roll:... but I digress.

Logically, we had to fight it out, in the classic duel style of years gone by... (all with D2H + 17-55DX).

Here is Frank with his Dirty Harry "do you feel lucky, punk, do you?" look, trying to indimate me before the shoot out. :oops:
21530074-O.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is my view of the combat field, i.e. from my chair and my side of the table. :)
21482518-O.jpg

Frank will no doubt post his! ;-)

Since I had brought Belle to show Frank how well behaved (following a series of training classes) and how pretty she has become, she was also a favorite target.

Here is our famed shooter at the height of the action
21526380-O.jpg

She is looking at him, like a good model would.
21525604-O.jpg

All in all, a very enjoyable morning, as usual. Thanks Frank! :lol:

Thanks for the post so we can get a face with the posts. Great looking companion you got there. Bet she's loyal also.

No contest, Philippe. You win the shoot-out. And you infected me with a bad case of D2 lust in the process :cry:.

Here's a shot of you taking a shot of me.

43077581.gif

I tried to get a good shot of the beautiful Belle, but she was so busy jumping around and biting her leash that I never caught a good one.

View attachment 8463

But I did manage to catch a shot of the irrepressible Clyde.

View attachment 8464

Always good to see you, mon ami 8).

PS: here's the story on the memory card problem.

https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=3537&highlight=

Last edited by a moderator:
Question for Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank, I have to ask you a question about your hat.

I have one just like it and I've had to stop wearing it when I'm taking photographs. Every time I raise the camera to my eye it knocks the peak of the cap and pushes it up off my head. This makes me feel (and, I suspect, look) really foolish.

How do you manage to overcome this problem?

Re: Question for Uncle Frank

Luckynp said:
Uncle Frank, I have to ask you a question about your hat.

I have one just like it and I've had to stop wearing it when I'm taking photographs. Every time I raise the camera to my eye it knocks the peak of the cap and pushes it up off my head. This makes me feel (and, I suspect, look) really foolish.

How do you manage to overcome this problem?

I have that problem with baseball caps, and wear them backwards when I shoot, but as you can see
from this picture, my Hogan hat doesn't get in my way. It must be the shape of my head, or the
way I hold my camera...

21482518-O.jpg

Is that over at Blossum Hill and Santa Theresa?

I'm not a coffee drinker so I don't know where all the Star Bucks are.

Hilarious in any case. :)

A

AndyWoodward

Mike,

As a fellow Northerner (UK that is!) I am sure you can appreciate how your post made me laugh out loud and spray my tea all over the desk!!

I am sorry to laugh at your predicament, but it just struck me as funny!

Thanks (and sorry!)

Andy

Hi Beezle,

The coffee shop/bakery is located precisely where you said. Small world, huh? And no, it's not a Starbucks: the sign on the door says "Le Boulanger", which is a bakery and sandwich kind of place... with coffee, of course!

And, thanks for your comment! :)

UncleFrank said:
No contest, Philippe. You win the shoot-out. And you infected me with a bad case of D2 lust in the process :cry:.

Too funny! At least, I didn't spring for the D2X: then, you would have had a real bad case of D2 lust, lol. Imagine, a 100% crop of that lens of yours, huh? One could probably see your subject reflected in it, CSI-style! ;-)

UncleFrank said:
I tried to get a good shot of the beautiful Belle, but she was so busy jumping around and biting her leash that I never caught a good one.

Hey now. She was not always like that, thank goodness... But when she has to go, she has to go and that's how she lets me know!

UncleFrank said:
Always good to see you, mon ami 8).

PS: here's the story on the memory card problem.
https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=3537&highlight=

Same here. I'm sure that Lexar will make good on their lifetime warranty. I just bought a 2GB x80 card to go with the D2H, because I may use the "machine gun" mode a bit, and then the cards fill up really quickly!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hah, well the french bakery sign is what I recognized. I figured they must have built a coffee shop across the way.

I don't stop there very often - usually to hit Albertson's. Or more likely as an excuse to get near In n Out! :D

Uncle Frank,

Your eyes caught my eye in the first shot. Right pupil wide open, left pupil very narrow.

???????????????????

sfoxjohn said:
Your eyes caught my eye in the first shot. Right pupil wide open, left pupil very narrow.???????????????????

You're very perceptive. That's often a sign of drug use, but in my case, it's the result of an injury. I was struck in the right eye by a ball, and it blew out my pupil. My nervous system is always trying to close the pupil, but all it does is make the pupil in the left eye shut down to a dot.

Call the "RIOT" police on these two clowns Flew.

roflmao.

Great fun and great photos
Keep up the good work..

UF calculating the stratagy D2X, for the next DUAL....lololol

You're very perceptive. That's often a sign of drug use, but in my case, it's the result of an injury. I was struck in the right eye by a ball, and it blew out my pupil. My nervous system is always trying to close the pupil, but all it does is make the pupil in the left eye shut down to a dot.

Ouch! Very sorry to hear that. I hope there is a chance of recovery or correction.

Phillipe,

Did you do any post processing. WB ?

Both cameras produced totally different colors and personally I have to lean in favor of D2H.

Wow Frank. Your lens is HUGE indeed. I'm really thinking about one.

Thanks for this post. It is nice to put face w/ names.

Latest threads

Top Bottom