Dueling lilies - a different view of Longwood BIG POST

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Gordon Large, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Well, not really, but I had to grab your attention, right. And anyhow Mike Mac was scooping me by getting his pix online first. Had a great time shooting with Mike and look forward to many more shoots with him.

OK, first the excuses. These have all been tweaked in Capture, but I'm in the middle of switching to a more souped-up laptop and can't touch up with PS yet. OK, I'll admit it; that's the only excuse.

In this one, for example, the sign on the left has to go, but without PS I have no way to do it.

original.

View attachment 12471

Those of you who are tough critics will notice that I cut off the bottom petal of the flower. I still like the flower and the image, though...

View attachment 12472

View attachment 12473

View attachment 12474

http://www.pbase.com/glarge/image/46564449/original.jpg[/img

Finally, two that show off the D2x's amazing resolution -

[ATTACH=full]12475[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]12476[/ATTACH]

More to come..... Gordon

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    They ae VERY beautiful.. Nothing to be ashamed of at allllll.

I should do 1/10th as good.

3. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Gale -

Thanks for your nice comments. Needless to say I'm not ashamed. Quite the opposite actually. I was just having a little fun with that first paragraph. I'm glad you liked these images, because I have lots more I want to share.

Gordon

4. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Gordon, those are amazing...but that yellow one with the reflection in the water is just stunning! Very, very nice!

5. Re: Dueling lilies - a different view of Longwood BIG P

50 lashes......

j/k

These are very nice, Gordon. Did you notice on the above referenced photo how crisp and clear the interior of the lily is? Fantastic!! :)

What lens were you using for these? 200-400?

You should be very proud of these!

6. Excellent shots all around but like others have said the yellow Lilly is the one I like the most

7. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Re: Dueling lilies - a different view of Longwood BIG P

Hi Kevin -

I've noticed the incredible detail and sharpness of the D2x since the day I got it. Is the "above referenced photo" the yellow lily? It's kind of funny that so far nobody has noticed the dragon fly at the top of the flower.

All these shots were taken with the 70-200VR, some of them with the TC17 as well. IMO this lens and combo are perfect for water lily shots. You will see in a later post that the lens, sometimes with extention tubes, is perfect for smaller flowers.

Gordon

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gordon,

These are some of the best images that I've seen from your new D2X. Apparently you are getting it figured out. :wink:

While I agree that cropping in PS would help the composition of several of them, basically they are all great captures. You should be very happy and proud.

The only very minor nit that I have is that a couple of them have a touch too much USM for my tastes (most are fine). Still doesn't detract from the quality of the original captures, but in most cases, the images are very sharp right out of the cam, so they don't need much sharpening.

Overall though, these are excellent. Good job. 8)

9. Re: Dueling lilies - a different view of Longwood BIG P

No, actually I was referring to the chopped-off-petal white lily. Those purple noodle things look really clear. Sorry, I'm not a flower expert and don't know their proper names! :oops:

10. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Re: Dueling lilies - a different view of Longwood BIG P

Purple noodle things. I love it. :lol: I'm not far ahead of you. They are either pistols or stamens, but I have idea which. Maybe someone will tell us.

Gordon

11. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Frank -

Thanks for the nice comments! Yup, I am learning how to use the D2x's capabilities, but I've still go a long way to go, especially in exposure. After all, flowers just sit there. Take a shot. Look at the blinkies. Look at the histogram. Figure out what you think should be done. Then do it. Repeat as necessary. So far I haven't found many birds that will do that. :wink:

You could really help if you could tell me which images seem oversharpened to you. Also which images would improve with better cropping, what the cropping should be, and why. I did crop in Capture to get images that looked good to me, but it would be really great to learn what you would have done. I think others would benefit from this too. Keep any comments brief though. I don't want you to spend a lot of time on this.

Thanks,
    Gordon

12. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Lisa and Mike -

Thanks for the nice comments! Sorry I didn't get back to you individually, but neither of you had any specific comments or questions that needed an individual response.

Gordon

13. Gordon all I can say is these are fantastic. I think the purple noodles are stamens.

14. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Cindy -

Thanks for your compliment about my flower shots. And also thanks for your ID of the purple noodles. Even though I now know what they are, I suspect I'll always think of them as purple noodles. Too funny. :lol:

Gordon

15. mrtac2man

mrtac2man

Jun 3, 2005
    CT
    Dang you guys and your D2x's... looks like its going to be an expensive X mas this year....

16. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Sorry about that. But you will be one happy camper if Santa leaves one of these under your tree....

Gordon

17. Hi Gordon,

Your images are fantastic! It is also very spooky. I feel as though we were the same day. I have several shots that are similar to yours, but not on the same caliber. I was using the 70-200VR, but I didn't have a teleconverter at the time.

Anyway, I especially enjoyed the purple noodle water lily. I haven't finished processing those yet. I probably won't get back to Longwood unitl September. I am going to check out Brookside Gardens soon. They currently have a live butterfly exhibit in one of the conservatories.

18. Ouch, don't say that! I just picked up the TC17E and a 12-24DX. I don't think my poor budget (or plastic) could take another hit this year... :twisted: Not true, now that I have my 12-24, its time to ditch the 17-55 and get a...BEAST! :twisted: :twisted: The D2X will have to wait a little longer.

19. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Crystall. As you can tell, Longwood is one of my favorite places. Sounds like you now have a teleconverter, which is great for the lilies and other outdoors flowers. Get some Kenko extension tubes too. They give you macro capability, and are super for closeups both indoors and outdoors. I look forward to posts of your Longwood and Brookside shots.

Gordon