Duets

Symphony

18661631-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

18662676-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Interesting post the way you have controlled some aspect of the image. The juxtapostion of in focus / out of focus on the first one does create tension in the image. Likewise new/old in the second image is interesting as well and gives us a glimpse of life as it is. Thanks for sharing.

Hi, Anand.

I like the ideas of these two, but I'm not sure I like the actual choices of framing and POVs, particularly for #1.

For #1, the blurry one seems to dominate the frame a bit much for my taste. If I were to keep both flowers to be similar size, I would probably go for a horizontal composition instead. Also, I would tend to go for a POV and perhaps lighting that reduces the blurry one to some extent.

For #2, I think I would've prefered the top flower in somewhat fuller view, instead of cropped off like that. Other than that, I might prefer framing shifted a tad to the left so that the withered flowers take up just a bit more of the right side of the frame. Maybe tilt it a slight bit also for a bit more of a slant in the alignment of flowers.

Best regards,

_Man_

Thanks Gordon, Man-Fai

What I probably missed with #1 was the prominence of out of focus flower in the foreground. The reactions I got were uniform - none liked the foreground to be blurred.

Gordon got the intention of the 2nd one. I wanted to show the ageing process, with the dying flowers in front and the fresh flower in distant memory, looks like it did not work well for Man-Fai :)

That is why I cropped the flower on the top like that.

I agree on the balancing aspect, if I had moved the withered flowers to the right and pushed the fresh flower to the left, it would be a very interesting photo.

Needless to say, I am enjoying my 70-200 :)

Let me get this straight, Anand. You spent $1500 to buy a 3 pound mid range best-of-class telephoto lens... and now you're using it for macros?

Interesting how opinions deviate.
I tentatively covered the intact flower on the second pic, and liked it much more. Well, tastes are individually different (fortunately).

Harry S. said:
Interesting how opinions deviate.
I tentatively covered the intact flower on the second pic, and liked it much more. Well, tastes are individually different (fortunately).

Thanks!

Absolutely Harry.

That is why I am amazed by "great" photographers. They manage to convey a story in a single snapshot in time.

N

nfoto

Ok shots, but each of them would be improved by much more daring cropping. striving to "get everything in the frame" rarely works very well.

Latest threads

Top Bottom