Dumb D200 battery question

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by GaryW, Dec 24, 2005.

1. GaryW

GaryW Guest

The write-up on the EN-EL3e states:

The newly developed high-energy EN-EL3e (7.4V, 1,500mAh) rechargeable lithium-ion battery delivers enough power to support the shooting of up to 1,800 images on a single charge, can be recharged at any time and features a handy real-time fuel gauge system display that shows remaining charge by percentage, number of shots since last charge and overall battery status.

I have poured all over the manual several times and cannot find where to look for this information on the camera. I know it's staring me right in the face, but I am missing it. Any help? Thanks.

2. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    It's called
    Battery Info, but I'm not sure where it is in the menu, sry, you gotta find it.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    1800 jpgs.

Shooting raw takes more power.

4. Go to the Set Up menu ( icon is a wrench), then to Battery Info and click right.

5. GaryW

GaryW Guest

Thanks, Muril. I don't know how I missed it. I had been through the set-up menu looking for it before.

6. From Battery University.com

"A lithium-ion battery provides 300-500 discharge/charge cycles. The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible. Instead, charge the battery more often or use a larger battery. There is no concern of memory when applying unscheduled charges.

Although lithium-ion is memory-free in terms of performance deterioration, batteries with fuel gauges exhibit what engineers refer to as "digital memory". Here is the reason: Short discharges with subsequent recharges do not provide the periodic calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30 charges corrects this problem. Letting the battery run down to the cut-off point in the equipment will do this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate."

Just a little more info that might help, Greg

7. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Exaactly what I did this morning. I set my Intervelometer to take a flash pic every 6 secs til the card was nearly full. Then I'd format it, and start the whole process all over again. Did this til it wouldn't take any more shots. Let it cool down a little, since it was warm, and now it's getting it's second-ever charge. Hope this helps with it's longevity.

8. Thank you, Mr. Professor :wink:

It is interesting that the D2H/X charger, if memory serves, has a separate "calibrate" button, which I would imagine does just this, but it is not present on the MH-18a, the D200 charger. Too bad, that would be nice. Does anyone know of a better way to fully discharge other than with shutter clicks? Seems like a waste of a few hundred. I guess you could do things like turn on the LCD Preview all the time and never time out the dispaly's, eh? Just trying to save my shutter :wink:

9. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Leaving the LCD on is a bad idea

Would doing that produce the phenomenon called "burn in"? Hey, what a few hundred shutter clicks among friends. Do you really plan on keeping the D200 so long you wear out the shutter mechanism?

10. Yes, that IS my plan. And, as always, my PLANS always come to fruition, at least until the next thing I "need" comes along and I rationalize why my PLAN shoudl change :wink: . But that is OK because it is always down with logic, and never emotion.

I just want the "Calibrate" button back that is on the D2H/X charger. Looks like this is one more of the little "differences" in the "little brother" to the D2X eh?

I have no idea regarding "burn-in", I'm just dumb when it comes to things electrical, and I plan to keep it that way :smile:

11. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I'm not sure that I understand your question. "Burn in" is a condition that happens to CRT monitors (possibly TFT/laptop monitors too, but I'm not sure about that). I don't think that LCD's are effected by the same issue... otherwise, the "shots remaining" indicator that displays when the power's off would be ghosted in the LCD. Usually, LCD's are low-power devices and should be safe from burn-in.

If I've misunderstood your question, please tell me and I'll revise my answer...