Dumb Things I Learned...

So, this may be in the manual, but I have suddenly stumbled across a couple of neat features that I did not know - but are pretty helpful....

1) I shoot a lot of sports, and sometimes my hand inadvertently puts the 70-200 into manual mode. If you don't catch it, it crates a real problem. Recently I picked up my D3s with 70-200 attached and the little red focus square was gone! I tried everything I could think of... no good. Then I noticed I had put the lens into manual mode - putting it back to auto made the little red square come back on... pretty neat!

2) I move the focus spot around, but always have trouble getting it back to the middle while shooting... well, pressing the center button on the rocker switch takes it immediately back to center....

Any one else come across anything you did not know? I know, RTFM and I may have learned these things, but.... who has time for that!

Real Name
Mike
I learned that if you want to unscrew the viewfinder eyecup on a D700/D3, you have to first close the viewfinder door/cover. If not, you can end up forcing the eyecup off which will eventually give and break the lock which keeps the eyecup from unscrewing. My shutter/cover still works but the eyecup is not "locked" in place. Luckily it stays in place.

2) I move the focus spot around, but always have trouble getting it back to the middle while shooting... well, pressing the center button on the rocker switch takes it immediately back to center....

love this feature. i move the af points before putting the camera VF to my eye. after taking the shots, i always reset, so im ready for the next photo op. learned this technique back in my canon days.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom