Dunes In The Namib Desert

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by bobhoge, Sep 30, 2005.

1. The Namib Desert covers 20,000 square miles along the Skeleton Coast in Namibia. It only rains here once every 10 to 15 years and only an inch or so then!

The patterns of the constantly shifting gigantic sand dunes makes interesting shapes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is a lot of sand blowing around:
    [​IMG]

Bob & Nan

2. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    A pretty barren looking place - to be sure !

I bet around dawn / dusk there'd be some killer pics to be had.

Thanks for the post.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow Bob,

That is quite a sight. Amazing. Beautiful shapes of the dunes and the ground.
    Did you have a plastic bag close by for the camera :>))

Boy that kind of shooting could take a tole on equip..

Great shots.
    Thanks for sharing something I will never see in person. Really enjoying your journey with you and Nan.

4. We were riding in vans like ones in the first photo. They were closed so there was less dust when riding around, but there was plenty when we got out or put the window down to shoot. I had a lens pen with a brush to clean off the camera and lens each time we got back in the van.
    Two bodies really help. We went with one long lens and one short lens and hoped for the best, not changing the lenses during the drive.
    We also swipe the shower caps whenever we go to a hotel/motel. They are about the right size and can give the camera a bit of protection. The elastic band keeps them on the camera but makes removal easy when you want to shoot.
    Bob & Nan

5. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Very nice series of images. Looks like you had a very sucessful trip. They make me thirsty just looking at them :smile:

Regards

RFC

6. At first I couldn't tell if shot #2 was one shot or 2 panos. Very neat!!

7. Hi Kevin,
    Yes it is one photo. When the wind blows from one direction the sand piles up over the downwind top edge of a dune. When the downwind slope exceeds 34 degrees, the sand collapses leaving a new sharp downwind edge. If you could cut across the sand in the direction of the wind, it would look like a series of sawtooths with a gentle slope up and a sharp dropoff.
    Photo #2 was taken looking into the wind into a series of the dropoffs.

Hope this is clear,
    Bob