1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Dungeons No More! Flash and High School Football

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Sauk, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2008
  2. Nice write up. Thanks. I have a couple questions though...

I have a 300 f/4. So, your starting point of 1/250, f4, ISO ~1250 is a starting point I will try.

I have an SB-800. I will put it in manual mode and try 1/4 power - I think that is what you are suggesting. So, if it's manual at 1/4 power and the aperture is set to f4, ss at 1/250, doesn't that mean the flash/exposure is only good for a certain distance?

When you say +03 to +07, is that on the flash or camera?
    Also, does this all assume manual metering?

Thanks.

3. Good info. That Canon stuff made me a little queezy though :Teeth:
    One thing to add is don't be surprised if you might get shut down by the officials if you shoot flash at games, especially at the Playoffs. I have also seen Coaches complain and get a photog using flash shut down. :Curved:

4. Since he is off line, I will attempt an answer. In manual power you are always shooting full power, unless there is an adjustment done to the flash setting. F stop will not cause any change in that.
    The +03 to +07 are steps between the 1/4, 1/2 and Full setting on the flash.

I actually used straight TTL at my last game. (SB 600) Shoot 1600 ISO @250th sec. Flash was -2.0 Tomorrow night I will try 800 ISO @ 250th sec with flash at -1.0

5. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    Flash,

Yeah no problems so far, but heck you never know lol

You pretty much answered that question but yeah I shoot with a 300 1.4 ext so my F is 4 no matter what.

Right now I am having success using ISO 1000 with the flash at those settings.

I tried iTTL but it always wanted to overcompensate the darkness so it too bright.

When using manual I will have more control on the amount of light I put out into the scene.

If you go to high in your ISO your going to have to turn up the power on your flash to make sure your still 2 stops over ambient.

6. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

Neat stuff ... Thanks for doing that matt !

7. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Really good stuff Matthew. I like your site a lot. Your basketball photos look really nice.
    Did you shoot those with strobes or were they just with available light ?

8. I was using flash in manual when I shot with my 70-300 f4-5.6 APO Sigma. It was a chore at times having to change from - 1/4 to - 1/2 if they got too close all the sudden. Also I seem to notice more shadow (I use flash below camera) The 2.8 seems to balance fairly well with our field but tomorrows night test will tell.
    Yeah, I even called FHSAA and queried about another ruling that put photogs only from the 20 yard line to the endzone, nowhere in between. Now that would stink. :mad:  Sussposedly to cut down on our chances of getting hurt. :rolleyes:  Like we couldn't get hurt from 20 yard line in to endzone??? I have not seen Officials inforce it yet, but late last year they did. Thus the reason for picking up the 2.8

CHSWIL09-12-019.

This was 1600 ISO at 250 TTL flash -2.0 (no real shadow here)
    Test tommorrow will be 800 at 250 TTL flash -1.0

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2008
  9. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    Flash,

Solid photo and great capture. You should try to lower the brightness and that will decrease the flashed look of the uni's and helmets.

10. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    I shot strobes just about the entire season. The girls tourney were all strobes. Last year I used 2 AlienBees B800's. I triggered with skyports.

11. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    thanks for looking :)  I want to re-read it again but I don't want to feel embarrassed by my probably many grammatical errors lol

12. Do you mean the flash power? I was getting no blinkies on the whites that I saw.

13. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    Here is what bringing down brightness will do, I hope your ok with this if not let me know and I will take down the image.

Thanks

CHSWIL09-12-019.

14. Ahh, post processing brightness. Gotcha.

Adjustments on mid-tone and highlites ??

15. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    I just brought down the brightness (used adobe camera raw) that's it. Your scene has plenty of light, but it could be toned down IMHO (again personal preference, but might not be yours)

16. I tried using flash last night, simply because the stadium I shot at was exceptionally dark. It reduced my number of keepers to only 2 out of about 100 shots. Why so few? Well, for one, I don't have the means to put the stobe below the lens, so it was mounted to the hot shoe. I know, bad way to shoot with flash, but for $17 per photo published I'm not going to be doing any major upgrades anytime soon. Anyway, having the flash on the hot shoe caused terrible "demon eye" that I just can't make look natural in PP. Also I can only get about 1 out of 7 shots flashed in continuous burst since the strobe has to recycle. All in all, it was just a bad night and I am very reluctant to post the 2 images that I consider good enough, because I think I did a horrible job.

17. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    Steve,

In my article I posted a link to an article on a canon site of a guy that spent like 6 bucks on his harness for this flash under the monopod.

I used it last year. But with the help from another shooter I simply used something I already had, super clamps. I had them from the basketball season for my alienbees, so I just needed one thing this year. That cost me like 25 bucks.

18. Thanks, I'll have to look into something. The other thing is how can I get more than one flash shot when shooting in continuous mode? I get one flash shot off then the speedlight recycles and and there are about 7 non-flashed shots until I get a flash again.

Anyway, here is my feeble attempt as last nights game. I'm not particularly happy with the results.

2891454163_f316cd551b.

View attachment 257114

19. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    Steve,

Can you post your settings (your exif is not in the images)

Also the only way your going to get more then one shot is to get an external battery pack.

I got one this year and it was a very very good investment. I can get around 3 or 4 solid full power shots.

20. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

steve spray and pray doesn't work for shooting ANY low light sports. Your flash just isn't fast enough to recycle the way you are asking it to ... Honestly i would put your camera in single shot with continuous af and make every shot count...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.