Dunning-Kruger Effect - I learned something new tonight ....

which I think many here may be able to relate to.

Let me introduce the Dunning-Kruger Effect. Read on, let the discussion begin!

I'll start by simply stating that I believe I see this rather often in things I read on the Internet, even more than what I see in my real daily life.

How about you?

I'll start by simply stating that I believe I see this rather often in things I read on the Internet, even more than what I see in my real daily life.

How about you?

And all this time I thought it was the booze that motivated idiots to say to their friends "Watch this!" just before they were horribly injured or even killed. (Exempli gratia: http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2014/03/two_men_killed_by_rotterdam_zu/)

Are you telling me that some people are wired to believe that they can get away with this stuff?

Sean

From the article:

Conversely, highly skilled individuals tend to underestimate their relative competence, erroneously assuming that tasks which are easy for them are also easy for others.
I always took it as "the more I learn, the less I know".

And all this time I thought it was the booze that motivated idiots to say to their friends "Watch this!" just before they were horribly injured or even killed. (Exempli gratia: http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2014/03/two_men_killed_by_rotterdam_zu/)

Are you telling me that some people are wired to believe that they can get away with this stuff?

Sean

Quite a tragic story, Sean, in my opinion more tragic for the passengers and engineers of the train than for the two "ordinary passengers waiting" as it is written in the story. Not sure about "wired", I guess we could argue the "nature" vs. "nurture" thing, but some things I just chalk up to sheer stupidity.

Thanks for posting this. It made me smile. Does this fall under, "A little learning is a dangerous thing!"?

You are welcome. I might also go so far as to add to your comment "Especially in the hands of ......"

Not surprisingly..it is the confident who rule the world...not necessarily the competent!

Ain't THAT the truth, as evidenced by our American Politics. Oh, wait, looking around the world I see we don't have a monopoly in that regard!

From the article:

Conversely, highly skilled individuals tend to underestimate their relative competence, erroneously assuming that tasks which are easy for them are also easy for others.
I always took it as "the more I learn, the less I know".

Look at the tag line in my signature, I think we are saying the same thing, sort of ....

On a related topic I believe it was Socrates who said, "True wisdom is knowing you don't know".

In all seriousness, that is the greatest lesson in life that I have learned, and have tried to teach my children. No clue if I have succeeded, but I sure tried!

How about you?
Reminds me of a current TV commercial. "Say hello to Captain Obvious." Seems to me to be another way to describe 'maturity' except they get to name it after themselves.

All males (and females?) are guilty of this until their late thirties when they (well, most of them) have an epiphany that it really isn't 'all about them.' After that they become productive members of society. The ones who flunk the test buy expensive gold jewelry, watches, motorcycles, German sports cars or very long FF lenses to compensate.

Rich

Last edited:
Sean

My wife teaches "Preparatory English" (aka, Remedial English) in a local community college. It is astounding how few of them learn. The students are told exactly how many classes, homework, etc. they can miss before failing. They don't listen. They are told NOT to plagiarize yet they do. They turn in draft writing, it is carefully graded, they are told what to fix. The same draft gets turned in as final. Some forget they have to TAKE EXAMs! I don't think they are "wired" for this failure so much as they are attached to wireless devices too much and never learn to think for themselves. I just suggested that she assign students to write a short paragraph on this. ;)

My wife teaches "Preparatory English" (aka, Remedial English) in a local community college. It is astounding how few of them learn. ... I just suggested that she assign students to write a short paragraph on this. ;)

In northern VA it's gotten to the point where they take an English composition exam on school terminals simultaneously in order to address cheating by cutting and pasting, plagiarizing and relying on internet searches to prepare phony compositions. Somewhere along the line the concept of integrity and honesty got lost in the drive to either do the minimum to pass or reach the highest score through any means. It's probably a combination of pressure, stupidity, dishonesty and, sadly, too much time spent surfing and socializing on line. One friend of my grandchildren was thrown out of college (...he was told not to even reapply!) because of incessant computer game playing. Thousands spent by his hard working parents down the crapper. Whoever named them 'smartphones' really got it wrong.

Rich

Latest threads

Top Bottom