Duomo di Modena

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
The Romanic Cathedral in Modena in Northern Italy is considered to be a masterpiece of Romanic Architecture. It was finished in 1106.

The builders came from the Italian Lakes area mainly from Como and Lugano . These Northern valleys have a tradition of providing itinerant building craftsmen ( trasfertisti) for the construction industry , that continues to this day.

I was in Modena for work and managed to have an hour to take a look inside. I have photographed the outside before, so this time I just photographed the interior.

I had not planned too well for this set and I had to carry my gear hidden away in my briefcase, as we are in total lockdown here, with movement only permitted for work reasons.

I took the 24-200 and the Nikon 24mm Tilt shift. I am experimenting with the 24 for hand holding on the Z7 in places where tripods are forbidden. I should have taken the 24-70 F4 on hindsight to have a little more "speed", as it was quite dark inside.

The IBIS in the Z7 proves to be really good if you take care. The Lion having lunch was shot at 1/6 and is still nice and sharp after a large crop.

DSZ_7120 1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSZ_7132 1.jpg

DSZ_7069 1.jpg

DSZ_7073 1.jpg

DSZ_7042 1.jpg

DSZ_7051 1.jpg

DSZ_7103 1.jpg

DSZ_7091.jpg

DSZ_7096 1.jpg

Real Name
Ken
I could retire and spend the rest of my life visiting and photographing all of the churches in Italy (as well as France and Spain) and I would be very happy. The cathedral is quite beautiful and Nigel's images are just wonderful.

And I would concur about the masonry skills of the craftspeople in Italy. My father was a general contractor in the second half of the 20th century, and he always told me that the best masons came from Italy and Sicily. Their skills were incredible and it could be seen in the quality and speed of their work. They built a social club in the greater Detroit area that showcased some of their work - http://sanmarinoclub.com/history/ .

Thanks Nigel,

--Ken

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Nigel!
Reading your thread title I thought you're talking about the Ferrari Museum...

Picture #3 reminds me of Babylon. There's nearly the same sculpture there.

Kind regards
Klaus

• Appreciate
Reactions: NCV
Real Name
Phil
Beautiful set! I think you can use higher ISO than 1600(I can see you were using 2500 too) without too much problem with noise, but you nail it anyway.

• Appreciate
Reactions: NCV

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
I could retire and spend the rest of my life visiting and photographing all of the churches in Italy (as well as France and Spain) and I would be very happy. The cathedral is quite beautiful and Nigel's images are just wonderful.

And I would concur about the masonry skills of the craftspeople in Italy. My father was a general contractor in the second half of the 20th century, and he always told me that the best masons came from Italy and Sicily. Their skills were incredible and it could be seen in the quality and speed of their work. They built a social club in the greater Detroit area that showcased some of their work - http://sanmarinoclub.com/history/ .

Thanks Nigel,

--Ken
Yes, the number of beautiful churches here is almost endless, from small Oratori to the Cathedrals.

Real Name
Ken
Yes, the number of beautiful churches here is almost endless, from small Oratori to the Cathedrals.
I know. I studied a lot of art history and architecture when in college and took a number of classes on medieval architecture, and cathedrals were the most prominent buildings we studied. I never tire of visiting them when we travel in Europe. Thankfully, my wife is patient with me and she loves art as well, so it makes for good times when we travel. But still, I think that Italy has more religious structures per square mile/km than any place on earth. Spain and France had a lot, but not like Italy. So many buildings, so little time.

--Ken

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
These are stunning! But then I seem to say that whenever you post! LOL!

Really exquisitely done! The 24mm TS does a fine job, but so does the 24-200mm! And you used most of the focal range of the 24-200!

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
These are stunning! But then I seem to say that whenever you post! LOL!

Really exquisitely done! The 24mm TS does a fine job, but so does the 24-200mm! And you used most of the focal range of the 24-200!

Thank you for your kind words.

Yes, when I am doing this sort of photography where I have to go "hand held", the extra reach of the 24-200 is very useful.

I have often found for this sort of photography, that the less gear I carry, the better the results seem to be. Changing lenses is a big distraction.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom