1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Durham City Regatta

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by AlJohnston, May 10, 2011.

1. 1.
    DCR-20110508-272.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DCR-20110508-322.jpg

DCR-20110508-079.jpg

DCR-20110508-102.jpg

DCR-20110508-115.jpg

DCR-20110508-329.jpg

DCR-20110508-383.jpg

DCR-20110508-388.jpg

DCR-20110508-505.jpg

DCR-20110508-551.jpg

DCR-20110508-721.jpg

DCR-20110508-739.jpg

2. Russ_

Russ_

Feb 20, 2011
    New Zealand
    They don't look very stressed for a race! Lol at no.4, neither of them would like that.

3. Some nice shots. A couple out of focus but other than that a nice set. Nice to see some other sports here on the board. Gives me ideas for when I may need to shoot something like this!!

4. YoMoe

YoMoe

Feb 9, 2010
    NY
    Wow, these are fantastic. I've been shooting a lot of crew and it is really hard. Would you mind sharing the camera, lens and settings you used? I'm trying to learn. Were you on the shore or on a bridge? I also love the black and white. I have never thought of it because the crew shots are so colorful but they look great in B&W. I'm going to have to try that. Thanks for sharing these.

5. Cheers guys :biggrin:

These were taken on a D300 with the 300/4 AF-S & 70-200/2.8 + TC-14. I used auto-ISO to keep the shutter faster than 1/800 in Aperture priority, although that does seem to soften things a bit when it gets darker. I have a picture control set up to do B&W straight from camera - I can always undo it in CNX2 afterwards :smile:

6. YoMoe

YoMoe

Feb 9, 2010
    NY
    Thanks for the info. I just read in a track thread that they use Aperture priority also. I'm definitely going to try that. Sadly I don't think my Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G will work with a teleconverter. It would be nice! Do you use the Dynamic area or Single point focusing?

One of my favorite crew shots is to take a photo of all the oars in a pile on the ground. I also like to get the kids carrying the boats.

7. I tend to use the 9-point Dynamic area - the fact that boat and rowers are moving at different speeds makes aiming the single point rather tricky :biggrin:

The good thing about Durham is that there are several landing stages right next to the course that you can shoot from :smile:

8. YoMoe

YoMoe

Feb 9, 2010
    NY
    I was using single point. I can't wait to get back out there and try again! Thanks for your help.

9. No worries :biggrin:

10. nice Al, you must be a fixture there...

11. Cheers - I show up now and then :biggrin:

12. HI AL, love the images!, being B&W I think a bit more image manipulation could be effective IMHO, with your permission I've played with a few just a little bit?. (a good B&W photoshop user could do more I'm sure!)

DCR-20110508-272.gif

View attachment 899023

View attachment 899024

View attachment 899025

13. Cheers :biggrin:

I probably tend to steer on the understated side of things, but those treatments are definitely food for thought :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.