Durham City Regatta

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Some nice shots. A couple out of focus but other than that a nice set. Nice to see some other sports here on the board. Gives me ideas for when I may need to shoot something like this!!

Wow, these are fantastic. I've been shooting a lot of crew and it is really hard. Would you mind sharing the camera, lens and settings you used? I'm trying to learn. Were you on the shore or on a bridge? I also love the black and white. I have never thought of it because the crew shots are so colorful but they look great in B&W. I'm going to have to try that. Thanks for sharing these.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cheers guys :biggrin:

These were taken on a D300 with the 300/4 AF-S & 70-200/2.8 + TC-14. I used auto-ISO to keep the shutter faster than 1/800 in Aperture priority, although that does seem to soften things a bit when it gets darker. I have a picture control set up to do B&W straight from camera - I can always undo it in CNX2 afterwards :smile:

Thanks for the info. I just read in a track thread that they use Aperture priority also. I'm definitely going to try that. Sadly I don't think my Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G will work with a teleconverter. It would be nice! Do you use the Dynamic area or Single point focusing?

One of my favorite crew shots is to take a photo of all the oars in a pile on the ground. I also like to get the kids carrying the boats.

I tend to use the 9-point Dynamic area - the fact that boat and rowers are moving at different speeds makes aiming the single point rather tricky :biggrin:

The good thing about Durham is that there are several landing stages right next to the course that you can shoot from :smile:

I was using single point. I can't wait to get back out there and try again! Thanks for your help.

HI AL, love the images!, being B&W I think a bit more image manipulation could be effective IMHO, with your permission I've played with a few just a little bit?. (a good B&W photoshop user could do more I'm sure!)

View attachment 899023

View attachment 899024

View attachment 899025

Cheers :biggrin:

I probably tend to steer on the understated side of things, but those treatments are definitely food for thought :smile:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom