1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Dust in brand new lens question

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by lmorgan, Sep 12, 2008.

1. lmorgan

lmorgan

Jun 27, 2008
    NCentral IL
    I just received the Sigma 24-60 from Amazon.com and it appears that there are 3-4 dust particles inside the lens when I open the aperture ring and look through it. Is this normal? Should I send it back to Amazon? Should I contact Sigma? Should I not worry about it? Anyone else have this issue? Is there a limit on the number of question marks you can use in one thread?????? :biggrin:

2. sllywhtboy

sllywhtboy

Jun 28, 2006
    detroit'ish
    my lenses are older and "came with" some specks of dust :tongue: (bought them used). there hasn't been any impact on image quality though.

as to whether you should send it back, i dunno.

3. The final decision must be up to you and what you are comfortable with. If the lens appeared to be a sharp copy with excellent results you are happy with, I would keep it if it were mine. The next one may not be as sharp. If it appears soft or I was not happy with the result, I would exchange it for another. I don't think a few dust particles would hurt anything.

4. Lenses are not fabricated in clean rooms, so it is not unusual to find dust inside even a brand new lens. A few dust particles shouldn't affect image quality - very large amounts of dust could scatter light enough to have an effect on contrast. Also, especially with a zoom lens, there will bound to be more dust entering over time.

It is understandable that you might want a "perfect" lens when you buy it, but there's no guarantee that the next lens will be any better. For a lens in this price range, I think I'd be inclined to keep it.

Here is an interesting thread about dust in lenses from a Leica forum. You may find comfort that even those lenses can have dust:

http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=004nS0

One caution: if the lens was not sold directly by Amazon, you should check the return policy of the seller as there might be a restock charge.

Barry

5. lmorgan

lmorgan

Jun 27, 2008
    NCentral IL
    Thank you!!! I'm going to try it out this weekend to make sure it is a sharp copy first. If it isn't, it is definitely going back. Thanks for that link Barry, I'll check it out. I did buy this lens directly from Amazon because I wanted the reassurance of their return policy.

6. Well if it's sharp , you better keep it , because not all 24-60 is sharp. You can always send it to Sigma to clean. A new lens should not have dust inside. My Sigma 24-60 is soft at f2.8 & 4 , so I send it to Sigma service. I don't think they touched it , because it's the same when I got it back .

7. Totally.

After you use it, they'll probably be 6-8 dust particles inside the lens.

No, no, no, and everyone... but it's really a non-issue.

Heck, no. Knock yourself out :biggrin:.

8. lmorgan

lmorgan

Jun 27, 2008
    NCentral IL
    ROFLMBO! You are cracking me up Frank!!!

9. I bought a brand new nikon 85/1.4 AiS a few years ago, and it came with several very noticeable metallic-looking particles stuck on the internal surfaces. Lens worked fine, made good pictures.

10. I have seen few dust specks in most BNIB lenses. Just depends how hard you check them!!!

11. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

Frank is right...bottom line, it's guna have dust in it sooner or later anyway. it'a matter of those that have dust and those that will ..lol

;-)))

12. AviSys

AviSys

Mar 31, 2008
    Placitas, NM
    Dust mite peeping

I sold a lens here. Before it sold, one potential buyer said:

"Take a bright flashlight, and with the lens aperture wide open, shine it in the rear of the lens and look in the front of the lens. Do you see any dust particles?"

In so many words, I told him to take a hike.

You can't have pedantic paranoia about things like little dust mites inside a lens (that will get there anyway). It's too easy in this business to get so involved with the hardware and its virginity, and peeping at pixels, that you forget to take pictures of anything but brick walls.

13. lmorgan

lmorgan

Jun 27, 2008
    NCentral IL
    :biggrin:

Thank you for all the replies. I've stopped looking inside the lens and am just looking at the pictures coming from the camera. They look clean and sharp when I nail the focus and that really is all that matters, right?? :wink:

I can't wait to have more time to play with this lens.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.