1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Dust in Nikon FM finder

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by FormulaJay, Jul 29, 2009.

1. FormulaJay

FormulaJay

Jul 16, 2009
    USA
    I was just given a Nikon FM camera and I can see some trapped dust/dirt in the viewfinder. It does not appear to be in the mirror or screen, but possible further in the finder. What would be the best possible approach to cleaning it.

3769515585_9959f038e4_b.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. I use a rocket blower to clean out the mirror/viewfinder area. However, I just pretty much ignore it, if it is not affecting the picture quality. You can do more damage by messing with it.

3. FormulaJay

FormulaJay

Jul 16, 2009
    USA
    Sounds like the way to go, I don't see how it can affect picture quality, since the light from the lens would be hitting the film. It's just a nuisance. Thanks for the response.

4. Great camera. I have one. Just leave it alone, it is an old camera.

5. braver

braver

Apr 2, 2008
    netherlands
    I did two things to almost completely un-dust my FE's viewfinder:
    First there may be dust behind the viewfinder cover. The black ring you put your eye to can be screwed off. Clean the glass and blow out dust that was stuck behind it.
    Then there may also be dust on the focus screen, and between the screen and the prism. Just take out the screen and blow it clean. Or use a very clean, very gentle brush on the more stubborn particles. And blow out any other dust thats inside (mine coughed up a particularly nasty dust bunny that was apparently hiding behind the mirror).
    Now, there may be more dust inside the prism housing, but I doubt thats what you're seeing.
    It's easy, low risk, and the camera will feel like new again :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.