dust or dead pixel...now Nikon says dust...

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by snugelbune, Jul 25, 2007.

1. snugelbune

snugelbune

Mar 15, 2006
    NYC suburbs
    I can never make the pictures post in the forum, so I apologize sincerely for asking you all to follow a link, but this is two pictures from different days with different lenses (they are really low res, if they're too small, let me know, I'll post larger res photos). I noticed it in the first picture (sky) and cleaned my sensor over and over and it's still there (picture of a pec cleaning pad) in the same place (the pics are cropped, but they line up in the same place)...I cannot see it on the sensor screen and it won't come off or move, so I'm wondering if it is a dead pixel or something more sinister than dust...any ideas?

Thanks--oh, sky picture is at f/11 and the white cloth is f/22 if that makes a difference. Here's the link

http://shutterbunny.smugmug.com/gallery/3207231#176892066

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2007
  2. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    It looks like a hot pixel to me. Hot is when a pixel goes bonkers and usually turns one color, red, purple, green, white. Dead pixels are usually black, as in they don't register any information. Either way, a trip to Nikon to have it mapped out is needed. It's an easy process, but it does cost a tidy sum if the camera is out of warranty. There are other choices, you can live with it and just clone it out or there are software programs that will detect and remove the offending object from your photo for you.
    Not to worry, you've got many millions of pixels left and with digital cameras, it's just a matter of time before you get them, my D2x had 2 right out of the box that I lived with for 10 months before I sent it in for it's warranty repair.

3. Ghunger

Ghunger

Apr 2, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I believe the D200 has the option to take a "dust reference photo" or something like that that will take things like this into account. I'd have to read my manual (D80, but they're pretty similar) again to be sure. Maybe someone else can advise on this?

4. snugelbune

snugelbune

Mar 15, 2006
    NYC suburbs
    Thanks Baywing...I think

I was SO hoping to hear DUST DUST DUST, but ok...sad but I'll live with it for now as I am sure I can clone it out until it really ticks me off! Anyone know how Mack is with their warranty? This one is out of warranty w/Nikon but it is under a Mack warranty.

5. snugelbune

snugelbune

Mar 15, 2006
    NYC suburbs
    Thanks Brian

I have seen this option in NX but never known what it was referring to...guess it's time to pull out the manual for me, too.

6. snugelbune

snugelbune

Mar 15, 2006
    NYC suburbs
    Ok, I don't know how they would know so quickly but I sent two full size files to nikon tech support on line and 20 minutes later a guy wrote back that it was dust...can they really be 100% sure from a file or is he mostly guessing?

7. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    He's talking about a feature in the camera where the camera takes a darkframe shot of the sensor and applies what it learns to the photo. This isn't a viable option for many as it slows the picture taking process to a crawl, frame rates go from fps to fpm. Landscape shots might work, but for action, you'll either need to get it mapped out or handle it in PP.

8. snugelbune

snugelbune

Mar 15, 2006
    NYC suburbs
    Baywing--thanks I think I understand

I'm assuming you are referring to the post from Brian and not the Nikon tech guy's answer? Just checking, thanks.

9. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Correct. It still looks like a hot pixel to me. A 100% crop of the area would be helpful, but I've never seen red dust. Nikon tech isn't what it used to be.

10. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I just figured out how to look at the samples at a larger size, and I have to amend my previous comments. This now looks to be more like something on the sensor. Unless the shoots posted have been cropped, it appears to have changed position slightly. It also doesn't look colored in the larger image, so it's either crud or a dead pixel. How do you clean the sensor? This looks like it will need a wet process to remove.

11. snugelbune

snugelbune

Mar 15, 2006
    NYC suburbs
    Baywing...answers

Ya, I cropped them and shouldn't have, they are actually in the same place. I use a "wet process" but I forget what the name of the company I ordered the thing from. First, there are pads/cloth called pec pads, then there is a fluid called eclipse cleaning fluid and finally a spatula like thing that you wrap the pad around and "swipe" the sensor...my concern is that it didn't really move with me doing that, but if it's sticky pollen or something and I'm not getting to the right area it's just being a pain. My main issue is that usually with dust on the sensor, when you look at it under the light, you can see it, I cannot see anything on the sensor. My other thought is that maybe there is dust on the side of the "chamber" that is throwing a shadow when the mirror lifts...maybe it isn't ON the sensor but is actually on the side felty like material...I'll look when I get home.

NOW, here's a question, the spot is on the left side of the picture, does that mean it is on the left side of the sensor or is it reversed? I have never understood that, perhaps I'm not looking in the right spot.

Oh well, I'll look again when I get home, I'll "shoot the sky" at f/2.8 and f/22 and see if it changes as far as clarity, maybe that will help as well.

Thanks,

12. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    The image on the sensor is backwards and upside down, as I recall from my film days. It doesn't really look like dirt, in some ways, as most of the dirt I have seen usually has a soft edge. This seems to have a harder edge, which is why a 100% or higher crop would help. It looks very much like a dead pixel, it's about that size but could be junk, too. If it is junk, it will be much to small to be seen with the naked eye. I've had a few goobers that took 3-4 cleanings to remove, so might be worth another try or two. In the end, though, I think it's a dead pixel, which can be mapped out.

13. If it disappears or grows substantially when you take a test image at a maximum aperture (f2.8 for example) then my bet is dust. If it doesn't change at all then it is either a pixel issue, or debris between the sensor and the filter in front of the sensor, but that's doubtful.

14. I really don't understand why you didn't think of this earlier, Michelle, but the problem is simply Location....send it down to North Carolina and I'll fix it, 8-10 weeks, no warrantee........pobrecita, those D200s give you fits, don't they.....

15. Looks like dust to me. A Giotta's rocket bulb blower would take care of that quickly. Get one and then lay down on the floor. Put your camera on bulb take off the lens have your wife or friend hold down the shutter release while pointing the camera down at you. Blow into the camera innards with the Giotta's bulb blower and the dust should dislodge and drift down and out of the camera. Put the lens back on, go outside and point it up at the sky and take an exposure. Look for the dust. If it is gone thank the rocket blower and go back to work.

16. snugelbune

snugelbune

Mar 15, 2006
    NYC suburbs
    Thanks Scott...

It is larger and more faint at a large aperture...or depending on what I shoot, not there at all. I think it's dust that just hasn't come off with cleaning (dust blower is never going to work, and I have a wet cleaning system that it has resisted for 3 cleanings...though Baywing said upside down and reversed, so I was concentrating on the wrong side :rolleyes: Thanks

17. snugelbune

snugelbune

Mar 15, 2006
    NYC suburbs
    Ya Right Dit!...

The question there is what location would it end up in if I used the lovely USPS :wink: Ahhh, I should have thought of asking you how to solve this problem!!

18. snugelbune

snugelbune

Mar 15, 2006
    NYC suburbs
    Gordon

ya, rocket blower is not happening, the wet cleaning system is having an issue with it because it is something sticky, blowing it won't work but thanks for the thought...oh, and it would have to be my husband helping me out, but I have a stand I rigged so that I can have a light, a magnifying glass and have the camera upside down for cleaning...no husband necessary :wink:

19. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    It looks like dust. I used the 'loupe' feature of your gallery, and it's blurry. You said it becomes more faint at larger apertures. No way would a dead pixel do that. Since the blower (did you do it hard enough?) didn't work, use the wet wipe. More than once if necessary.

20. Michelle, because I am so hot natured, I use TONS of air conditioning, ALL the time.....that said, it's the worst thing in the world, next to changing lenses in a dust storm, for the sensor, as any dust becomes goop and then dries onto the filter from the condensation....this happens often to me because of the humidity here and my cold cold cameras; what I have to do is use the wet method and sweep the pec-pad VERY slowly across the sensor filter, very slowly and thrice, just to wet the dust thru the goo and then remove it....sometimes even takes four tries....it just becomes so sticky that after it dries, its like an adhesive....dat's what I find, and how I get it off
    .....hope that's all it is.....the solution to preventing this from re-occurring is get a body for each lens and never change lenses....(I'm working on that)