Dust particles inside lens...

It knocked me off my feet when I discovered some previously unknown spots inside my AF-S 300/4.
I don´t know what brand they are and how they may have creeped inside.
Furthermore I can´t imagine what the "fork" at the left might be.

The lens had been to renew the motor unit at the end of 2009.

Hs anybody experienced the same or a similar scenery inside a lens?

I know that those particles don´t show in the photos but as it irritates me
and I don´t know what´s going on I would like to know the repair cost .
I phoned the service but they told me they´d have to look at it first.

Maybe someone can tell his experience in such a case...?

p49185901-4.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like you have some big particles in there. I wonder if the tech was eating while repairing your lens?

From what I read on the internet, most people find dust particles and scratches up front don't have much if any affect on image quality. Most would say don't worry about it and enjoy your lens. I guess if it bothers you the only choice would be to send it back and have them do a free cleaning. Good luck.

You can be sure that the dust inside your lens will not interfere with the quality of your photography. If it is lots of dust then I would have it cleaned, especially if interfering with my images.
It is not uncommon for lenses to have dust inside the internal elements. It is usually an easy job to remove it because in the majority of the cases the dust sits behind the front element. You could be told the whole lens was overhauled to clean it and now you have a fat bill for something that was not hurting your photography.
After the lens has been cleaned do not even dream it will not happen again!

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

You can be sure that the dust inside your lens will not interfere with the quality of your photography. If it is lots of dust then I would have it cleaned, especially if interfering with my images.
It is not uncommon for lenses to have dust inside the internal elements. It is usually an easy job to remove it because in the majority of the cases the dust sits behind the front element. You could be told the whole lens was overhauled to clean it and now you have a fat bill for something that was not hurting your photography.
After the lens has been cleaned do not even dream it will not happen again!

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Yep.
that´s exactly what the service man told me.
He asked whether I wanted to look inside the lens or better use it with my camera.:biggrin:
I´ll leave it as it is and think about cleaning ...or price reduction:wink: ...whenever I want to sell it. ...if ever :smile:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom