Dusting off my action skills (I enjoy a good challenge)

While at the dog park with our three Huskies last weekend, I brought my newly acquired D800 along with my Nikon AF 80-200 2.8D (two ring). Knowing full well that this camera/lens combo is not what is typically regarded as a modern "sports/action" setup, I figured I'd give it a try. After all, this was cutting edge auto focus technology at one time so photographers simply worked with what was available developing techniques to help them reliably capture action.

Camera was setup in 21 point continuous auto focus with no lock on delay. I had the lens focus limiter on limiting focus from just under 10 feet to infinity. All shots are at 200mm at 1/800 and ISO 200. I was in Shutter Priority mode and aperture varied between 4.5-5.6. I shot a seven shot sequence only discarding two of the images. One was due to being a bit too out of focus, and the other just because it was a bit of a duplicate image. For being about four years out of practice and on an unfamiliar camera with a "slow" screw drive lens I don't think things turned out too bad at all.

0QpC9NQBcsGddYH-O6RWLukA=w1404-h937-no?authuser=0?.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

lkDEY13RwUtECmX21lD3p6vQ=w1404-h937-no?authuser=0?.jpg

sn0PUenQTLn-QMHYbV8iQdww=w1404-h937-no?authuser=0?.jpg

-iisSgbMGvXmKF4zFpS0B_3w=w1404-h937-no?authuser=0?.jpg

Awoa1WO2B96L9r4jlHofSfHg=w1404-h937-no?authuser=0?.jpg

Real Name
Andy
Nice work, Gary. Glad to see the newly obtained camera is serving you well. If you modify a setting in your PP software to include EXIF data on export, other members will see the camera, FL, and exposure settings under each photo that you upload - saves you some typing.

Actually the screwdriver AF is pretty fast on a pro body, with a fast AF motor.
It was fine on my D70, but the AF snapped on an old F4. It was like two different lenses.
I've played around some with this lens on my D7000 and my D7100 as well with decent results. Proper camera setup and good technique go a long way to getting decently sharp shots.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom