1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Dusty Grouse aka Blue Grouse Courtship Display

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Fort Photo, Aug 11, 2009.

1. I really lucked out on this one! Thanks to a common strutting ground other grouse species such as Sage Grouse are easy to catch doing breeding displays. But the Dusty Grouse lives in spruce fir forest and often is only seen when one scares up a group of them hiking at the last moment before stepping on them. I've been lucky enough to see them feeding with young and other behaviors, but I never saw their display until this last Sunday in the Elkhead Mountains of Colorado. For this shot I used a D300, Nikon AF-D 300 F4 with Kenko 1.4x converter, shot wide open (F4) at 1/5ooth (-1/3 EV), clicky for larger size:

3809633283_265cdb844b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Beautiful, Michael! You need to post more often - this is a lovely and unusual bird to most of us, I dare say.

3. Wow. Great shot. Have never seen one let alone in courtship display. Thanks for sharing this.

4. Thanks for the encouragement all! I feel incredibly blessed to have seen this display and wonder if I ever will again. Truly a memorable experience just watching, let along getting to photograph it.

5. Wonderful catch. Shows it pays to be prepared!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.