Dutch Hill tripods

Discussion in 'Tripods, Ball Heads, and Gimbals' started by Robert, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Robert

Robert

Jul 24, 2005
    Canada
    I'm considering buying a Dutch Hill tripod, either the P900 Extended or the GT 2000CF surveyors tripod, (if I can order one with a 3/8-16 thread) for their ultra stability, durability and quick setup.
    Are there any Dutch Hill tripod users here? Any issues to be concerned about? Weight is not that much of a concern for me. The P900 Extended weighs 6.5 lbs., and handles 28 lbs. The GT 2000CF weighs 10.75 lbs. and has a load capacity of 50 lbs.

2. Robert

Robert

Jul 24, 2005
    Canada
    Bump...These tripods are highly recommended for photographers and I'm hoping someone here has some experience with them.

3. Robert:

I've been using the extended P900 for several months now and it has replaced all of my other tripods except for one that I use for flower macro shots. It does a great job of getting the camera up high, is quick and easy to set up, and seems pretty stable. I don't mind the length of it and in fact have hiked with it several miles with no problem - I have a sling on it and it rides over my shoulder like any other tripod of mine.

The only issue I have with it is the fact that you can't get very low to the ground without having to be flat on the ground - there is that middle level where it won't work. The legs will go to any angle you want but they will only lock at three angles, and if you want something in that is very low to the ground the legs can slip if you are not dug into firm earth. Sometimes I will put a rock under the base if I need to be a foot off the ground for instance.

As far as I'm concerned, it is the best value in a tall and stable and light tripod going. I consider it light since I used to use a 12-pounder for backpacking! I know most other folks go really light when they head to the woods but I've always said why in the world would you risk compromising the quality of your images just because you are a few miles out in the woods? Either you use a good tripod or you don't. The "lightweight" tripods ruin more photos then they help. Oops, didn't mean to get off on that wild horse....

By the way when I first got my Dutch Hill the locks were not tightened properly and the legs would slip with a heavy load (like Larry Daniel putting his weight on a single leg), but once I tightened them down they have been great (and I'm shooting a medium-format digital system now)...

4. Robert

Robert

Jul 24, 2005
    Canada
    Tim,

I have been in contact with the local distibuter as well as Dutch Hill in the US. I'm interested in in the P900 Extended, but I'm concerned that it's Max work load is 28 lbs. I was hoping for greater capacity than that. So, I'm in the process of seeing if Dutch hill will make me up their GT 2000 CF with a 3/8-16 thread instead of the 5/8-11 it normally has. They have already mentioned there may be an adapter, but I'm concerned that something added may create a weak link and a possibility for some vibration. I'll know more on Monday...they're looking into the matter.
    I will likely order a RRS BH55PCL head and L bracket and hope my tripod needs will be served for whatever gear I want to mount on it.

Thanks Tim....appreciated!!!

5. I've never used a camera setup that was anywhere near 28 pounds, and I've used quite a few rigs with large lenses. I've never felt that even with my medium-format gear that this tripod was weak. Larry standing on it when the clamp was not tight, yet - the leg actually slipped. But it would not slip with any camera system attached that I know of. I think it is funny that they have tripods that go up to 12' tall! I do stand on a box sometimes when I need a bit of extra reach with this tripod, but probably would not be able to haul around a 12-footer! I suspect the other tripod of theirs that you are looking at is a much beefer one that I have - it is pretty basic, which is just the way I like it. These tripods are the best bang for the buck for serious photographers for sure, and so much faster to set up than, what , having to twist nine locks for a gitzo...

6. Robert

Robert

Jul 24, 2005
    Canada
    The rep at Dutch Hill said that their tripods are quite conservatively rated and so I am also thinking that the 900 is probably all I need. I definitely don't want a tripod that's heavier or longer than necessary. The 2000 is a more robust unit with 1" tubes as opposed to the 900 or 1000 with 3/4" tubing. And I certainly don't need the 81.5" extension that the 2000 can do. The 71" of the 900 is more than enough, and that's without the head.
    I find tripod setups to be a hassle generally and the easy setup of the Dutch H is one of the features that has me very interested. I will also enjoy the multiple $100.00 bills I'll save which will just about pay for the head.
    Thanks again Tim for your comments!! I've waded through a lot of conversation about tripods and this product seems to make the most sense.
    Do you have a handy pic of your setup?

7. Nawh, Tim couldn't take one cause his camera was on it.
    :biggrin:

I must admit I did put a bit of weight to bear on the Dutch Hill. :smile:

I did not stand on it though. And like the Sachtler, it is an easy process to tighten it up. I would not be surprised if Tim didn't loosen it just so it would slip and he could blame any future malfunctions on me.
    :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

8. I think your sachtlers could hold up a horse!

9. Robert

Robert

Jul 24, 2005
    Canada
    I do remember now, the highly respected Sachtler pods and systems. I had a look see on the Sachtler site and found myself getting excited about their Eng2 CF...until I found out that it sells for $2049.00 Cdn. at a local store. Perhaps I'll order one when National Geographic hires me for assignment!!:rolleyes::biggrin:

Tim...put your rig in front of a mirror for me.:biggrin: