Dutch medieval castle "De Haar"

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Frits, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Just recently returned from a vacation to Europe.

Here is a wonderful original medieval castle in Holland. The castle has its origins from before the year 1000. About 100 years ago, it was fully restored, containing incredible richess collected by its owner family over the centuries.
    Too bad it was a very cloudy and even rainy day, so the sky is shot :D

Frits

2. Beautiful castle Frits and you have photographed it well.

3. OOHHH!!

This is very beautiful. Well done.
    Benoit

4. Wonderful shot Frits. So THAT's where you've been! Carolyn was asking about you.

Are there a lot of castles in the Netherlands or are there a lot of ruins, as in Scotland?

Rich

5. Hi Rich,

Good to hear from you!
    The netherlands has a number of castles that are in rather good repair. Most can be visited. A number have been kept in fairly original state, where some others have been "dressed up" for use as a museum of sorts.
    While in the UK, our planning with the help of your book was spot on. Thanks again.
    Do say hi to Carolyn.

6. Hello Frits -

What a spectacular place that is - you've captured it well.

While I understand (from experience!) the disappointment of having a monotonous sky at a place I've travelled to with the camera, if I had the choice between a day with a nice sky and a day at this castle, I know which one I'd choose . . .

Eric

7. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Well done, Frits! Nice shot of a beautiful structure.

8. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Very nice capture of a beautiful building.

Is the walkway joing the two parts original?

Having such a blank sky could be a blessing in disguise if you want to mask and replace in PS.

9. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Great shot. I think all castles should be shot in the rain. It grieves their story better.

10. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Frits,that's the one between Woerden and Utrecht if I'm not mistaken I was there in April they were still doing the renovation,it's one of the most beautiful castle's over here.

How did you like the Dutch summer?

11. I would not know. I do suspect that it is an add-on part of the restoration in the late 1800's. This was done after the castle had been more or less in disrepair since a couple of centuries.
    The restoration was spectacular, with practically unlimited funds. This was for a large part due to the heir of the castle marrying a women of the wealthy Rothschild family. The restoration also involved tearing down an entire village and reconstructing it nearby, to make room for the castle's planned garden grounds.

Yes Hans, that is the one. Errrrrr, what summer??? Weatherwise it was my worst summer trip to Holland ever. But we enjoyed ourselves a lot and did everything we had planned, albeit mostly under a dark grey sky and cool weather.

12. Frits, is that your cottage overseas?

13. debult

debult

Jun 11, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Moths Castle page (Netherlands) (in D-English) http://www.castles.nl/